Occupancy Tax missing

Mark894
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Occupancy Tax missing

Hi all,

I just took over my friend's appartment and started airbnb today. I set up everything carefully. Then I went on another browser to see if I could see my listing using the search. It turned out I could, but it problem is that airbnb is not collecting occpancy tax for me while all the other listings have this option(as you can see in the photo my listing on the right doesn't have it).

I have already got two requests to book but I don't want to accept them when I am violeting the local laws on this.

Called airbnb three hours ago, a girl repeated that airbnb charges occupancy tax on behalf of the host so the host can't charge it. After 10 mintues of explaining myself, she finally understood what the problem was, aftering me on hold for a good 15 minutes she then told me she would have to call me back as soon as she can. But still no news yet.

I am wondering if it happens to all new listings or if it's because I missed filling in some information?

Best to all,

MScreen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.20.10.png

1 Reply 1
Ariane7
Level 6
Paris, FR

Hi I am in France and since the begining of July 2018 airbnb collects the local tourism tax for my town, I was unaware of this until my guests in July were shocked that I was asking to collect these fees separately. But when I contacted airbnb they said it was in my 'financial statement' page, but I am unable to see anything on my page. I spent a lot of time on the phone while they tried to work out why I couldn't see that information, but they reassured me that the tax is being collected by them. But when I go into my own advert (as if being a traveller), the tax is not being calculated correctly, it is supposed to be 0,75E per adult, yet for 1 person it say 0E, for 2 people it says 1E and for 3 it says 2E, for 16 people it says 11E (instead of 12E). This means the right amount is not being paid to my town, which is a problem for me and my town, since the town needs the tourism local tax to thrive.
The next major problem is that the airbnb calculator on the number of guests only goes up to 16, but my villa can sleep upto 31 people, so how is airbnb going to calculate the right amount to pay my town?...