Occupancy taxes and fees

Occupancy taxes and fees

Guys, is it just me, or is their rate out of control? Im scared this is going to impact my bookings. My nightly rate is already low, and very competitive. Next Airbnb will ask us host to lower our rates, and I dint want to. Thoughts, or feedback would be great!

6 Replies 6

@James-and-Martha0:

Occupancy taxes and fees are set by your local governments. Airbnb has nothing to do with it. However, if you are in an area where Airbnb is collecting the taxes and fees then every one of your competitor's listings are also increased by the same amount. This puts you on par with all of the hotel rooms around you too. It simply levels the playing field and helps fund your city, county and/or state with everyone contributing- not just some of the Airbnb hosts and all of the hotels.

The fact that Airbnb is collecting the taxes and occupancy fees will help keep some municipalities and governments from creating laws preventing hosting.

Is occupancy tax added to a booking based on the residential area that the guest lives in or is it based on tax rules where the Air BnB they are BOOKING is located? I just spoke to an Air BNB customer service agent who says it's based on the taxes in the area that my guests live in. This makes Zero sense. If I am booking an Air Bnb in Japan, shouldn't I be paying the japanese taxes rather than the occupancy taxes where I am living?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniela990

After almost 1,5 year after your message i like to confirm:

What the Airbnb CS rep told you is complete nonsense.

I would be happy if Airbnb would collect the taxes.  I have been trying for 2 months to get them to include taxes in my listing but they continue to tell me its a software problem and they have no timeline for when it will be resolved.  Other Airbnb sites in my town have them listed, but for some reason they are not doing it for me.  I am ready to just do VRBO and Homeaway.  Airbnb is not responsive or responsible.  Anyone else have these issues?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@James-and-Martha0 If you are referring to the Airbnb price suggestions then please be aware these are just for comedic value and should be ignored by all sane people.

Also if you are using so called smart pricing do please make sure your minimum price is set high enough to make you money.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mike-And-Jane0 

More then 3 years the OP has been waiting for your answer, now they have given up: there is no Airbnb profile anymore  ;>)