Open windows while the guests are not at home

Lia91
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Open windows while the guests are not at home

What do you say about open windows, when your guests are not at home? I m afraid of this, because I don’t want to have a wet floor when it suddenly rains or a broken window when a storm comes up? How do you handle this? I do not want to be picky. 

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lia91 Would fitting restrainers to some windows help so that they can only be opened to a certain point?

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 I wouldn't, sounds like a potential fire hazard to me.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

fortunatelly our units are in mezzanine so I tell them they have to close it when they are not present and when they sleep because someone could enter through the windows and rob them.

But as our windows  are made of wood, double, old school windows ,typical for old European buildings , sometimes they close just outer wings and inner wings they leave open. It is a big problem during heating period so we have a note on each window "ALWAYS PROPERLY CLOSE INNER AND OUTER WINDOWS". I also always tell them the same thing during check in process, specially during the winter .

It is ridiculous that we have to tell such things to our guests but we know that logic and common sense is a rocket science for so many people. For example we have other notes too:  always lock the entrance door with a key 2x, do not wipe the floor with bath towels etc... it helps but not always 😛

Hi@Branka & Silvia

We get such guests too....we call them Numpties!

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Lia

Its not a case of being picky but a case of  common sense.

Unfortunately there are a few of us humans lacking in that great attribute.

Write it in your house rules explaining that a window inadvertently left open may cause possible flooding and damage .

Also if the window is on the ground floor you really don't want an opportunistic burglar either!

Regards the suggestion of a window restricting device whilst it may sound  initially ok what happens in a case of a fire emergency or other case where the guests needs to get out ASAP!

Remember  it IS your home and perhaps one of the most expensive assets you own.

Lia91
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Thank you all for your help! It`s good to know that other people struggle with the same problems! I definitely want to include this in my houserules and I also will leave a note on each window.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0No i don`t think that this is possible, because i have this old windows, made of wood (you can see it on my photos)! I think a little sign will be enough!

Thank you so much!

My listing is a private room in my home so we state that we may enter the room when the guest is absent to open/close the windows as needed. 

You can also add as a sort of disclaimer in your description and house rules, in case of theft or damage due to unsecured windows or doors not locked then it is not covered by any sort of insurance and the guest will be held fully responsible for negligence. Therefore guests have to lock doors and windows when going out. - just to make sure guests really get the message that THEY are accountable for their actions and you are serious.  

Thank you @Jessica-and-Henry0 for your answer! yes i think this is a good idear with the disclaimer, i will do that 🙂 i`m new on airbnb so i have to learn 🙂

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lia91  I don't have the window issue, but then it's 90-100+ degrees 8 months out of the year here. I do have issues with them not turning on the alarm system though and use a similar statement as @Jessica-and-Henry0's. If something happens it's all on them as I provided the means to prevent it and they failed to utilize it. 

Andrea1879
Level 2
Arcadia, CA

Good communication goes a long way. Just never ever install restraint on the windows as that's almost certainly illegal and could cause death if fire broke out and they could not escape quickly. I would never return to an Airbnb that did not allow me to open the windows fully, even if I didn't feel the need. Never impose risks you wouldn't want anyone to impose on you. 

There are many reasons guests open windows, and they probably won't tell you about most if them. This is because some hosts are very touchy and will get grumpy when approached with issues. Usually when a guest opens a window, it's because something about the air quality or temp is bother some or unhealthy for them. Other guests may actually wish to violate rules by smoking, vaping, using incense, cooking in the room, etc. So, the better your communication and the more you provide accommodations to prevent problems, the better off you'll be. 

It's reasonable to ask guests to close and lock windows when leaving the property or allow you to do so in their absence. However, if that makes their room too hot or lets it fill with wood smoke from your fireplace, then you need to provide AC or fix the fireplace problem. If there are dust mites, cat allergens, smoke residue or scented products in the room, even from laundry products, remove them. 

People open windows for specific reasons, so be sensitive to their needs before setting rules about open windows. Most will cooperate if you're meeting their basic health, comfort, and safety needs. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea1879 wrote:

Just never ever install restraint on the windows as that's almost certainly illegal and could cause death if fire broke out and they could not escape quickly. 

Not sure about that. It probably depends on where the listing is (the OP is in Austria). I stay in a lot of hotels around Europe and almost all of them have windows that only partially open and, when I say partially, I mean a really tiny amount, and many have windows that don't open at all. It's actually a health and safety thing so people can't fall (or jump). Of course, they must provide clear information about the routes/procedures to evacuate in case of fire, have fire doors etc. 

I don't know if the same rules apply to STR as to hotels, but I should imagine that rules vary enormously from country to country.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Lia91 forget about potential rain, its burglars I'd be more worried about, and your insurance! I've had quite a few guests leaving windows open, they either forget or think I'm on site 24/7 looking after things. In the past I've messaged guests whenever i noticed a window open, I've also written it in the rule/info book. 

My last guests went out for the day and didn't even lock the door, I noticed the keys still in the lock on the inside of the door. I truly despair sometimes.