Partial Payment Notification

Jim-and-Sue0
Level 2
Forest Lake, MN

Partial Payment Notification

If a guest opts to use the partial payment option, is the host notified that they have only paid a portion of the fee?  Does it show anywhere what has been paid and when the balance is due?

22 Replies 22

@Suzanne302  That may have been the case on yours, but I know for a fact it wasn't with my guest, because when I called about that reservation it was a week before check-in and his second payment hadn't been charged yet.

@Sarah977  @Robin4  Jesus, can't they do anything consistent??!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Suzanne302 

In actual fact there is no specific time stated for the second payment. Here is the link to the Pay less upfront rules....

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/2143/can-i-split-the-cost-of-my-reservation-across-multiple-p...

Suzanne, in practice I have found that although the date of the second payment before the stay does float, on my previous four stays it has been 10 days. I have another 2 stays coming up in August, we will see what they turn out to be.

Where the 14 days comes into it, the stay must be at least 14 days into the future from the date of booking....

Cheers.....Rob

Jim-and-Sue0
Level 2
Forest Lake, MN

Good to hear that there are others who have reasons that they want to know when a guest pays a partial payment.   I feel we should have a right to know the terms of any rentals regarding our property, even if someone else is collecting the money.

And, I take offense with anyone who says I don't need to know, based on their own experience.  If someone doesn't feel a need to know that's great, but they shouldn't be making a blanket statement that doesn't consider that every owner has different needs or procedures that may not align with theirs.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Jim-and-Sue0 you shouldn't take offense because of other people's opinions and I am sorry you did. I sure don't take offense at yours even if they differ from mine. This is a public forum and as long as people who have different opinions are not rude and verbally offensive I don't see why our feelings should be hurt. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jim-and-Sue0 @Ana1136 

Jim/Sue, I spent some time working in Airbnb support and I can tell you it's a God Da*n thankless job! Everyone has issues, problems, and most of them are angry and want quick answers and a patch up for their particular issue!

I gave it away after a year.....I went down to Ade one night and said, "I am not going to log on in the morning"! and I came back here where we can all talk without fear that we are going to get our heads ripped off.

There have been people here who make my blood boil, just as I probably do them. But the great thing about the CC is we all have a perspective, it may not be our perspective but whatever, all comments are valid.

If someone says something that you feel may be aggresive.....let it go! Making comment on it doesn't strengthen the CC, it weakens it!  

Cheers......Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jim-and-Sue0 

Good point Jim....or Sue, but, I guess the issue is, what difference would it make if you knew how the guest had paid. Would you cancel the reservation if you knew they had not made full payment when they booked?

In reality guys the failure rate of reservations under this scheme is quite insignificant and it is being seen in feedback as an option worth retaining.

Where the issue is coming in, there have been a few cases where a second payment has not been forthcoming, the host has a flexible cancellation policy and has ended up with a black hole in his booking calendar and the guest has been refunded their initial payment. This does (and is) being adressed and a solution I am sure is not far away.

But good comments guys and thanks for bringing them up!

Cheers.....Rob

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I think that this is just payment to hold the booking. I am sure that they will have to pay in full before they show up. I only give check-in information about 24 hours before they arrive, so this probably reduces risk. I also get a lot of questions from guests about payments, and always have to forward them to Airbnb customer service because truthfully, I have no idea how it works.