Party shows up exceeding max guests w/strict cancelation policy.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Party shows up exceeding max guests w/strict cancelation policy.

How does this work?

Airbnb says: If you’re unable to accommodate the larger number of guests, let your guest know that your place isn’t the right fit for their group size, and ask them to cancel their reservation. They’ll be refunded according to your cancellation policy.

So what happens when the party, who booked a 6 person (my max) party, shows up with 8? With a strict canx policy they're out of pocket for the stay, plus why would they have any reason/incentive to cancel? Has anyone had this problem? How was it resolved? 

9 Replies 9
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Jim472 the guests won't cancel unless you offer them a full refund. Or you could offer only 6 of them to stay as per the booking but that doesn't guarantee that they won't try to sneak the other two in after you are gone. If you afe determined that you want to cancel, call Airbnb time and time again until they cancel the reservation for you. 

@Ana1136 I’m so over sneaky guests, aren’t you? Do they honestly think we don’t see them sneaking their extra friends in? Spoiler alert: we do! 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sarah978 yess!! but I don't know whether he is a remote host, it would be harder to keep an eye on the place if he doesn't have outside security cameras installed or someone to go and check the place.

I just had a request for a family of 6 for a room with 4 single beds and they told me after they booked. She said the babies would sleep in the middle...I don't think so, the apartment is not equipped for 6 and we are legally responsible if something happens for allowing more people than the number of guests the apartment is registered for. 

@Ana1136

That’s very true re being a remote guest. I have the luxury(?) of being on site to watch the chaos up close and personal. Don’t you just love those guests (not) who feel they can overrule your house rules? Because they know better? Gah. If I had a dollar for every time a guest told me how they could run my business better than I do, I would have been able to retire long ago. The babies will sleep in the middle... Ah, no... I, my insurance company and common sense will have to politely decline, no matter how enticing that proposition may be. Deep breaths, deep breaths 🙂

Sarah978
Level 6
Ithaca, NY

@Jim472  Seems like that’s a violation of ABB policy to show up with guests that were not revealed on the reservation (which means you never agreed to them contractually), but I would think it would also void the res bc logistically bc it just won’t work in your space. 

I wouldn’t leave it to the guest to cx bc as you said, what’s their incentive to do so? I would call ABB right then with the guests standing there and let ABB break the news to the guests that they have broken ABB policy by not revealing how many guests they were actually bringing as opposed to how many guests they had your permission to bring. Since ABB policy has been broken, the res becomes null & void. Poof! You shouldn’t lose any money bc you upheld your end of the contract, and the guest did not. Period. 

@Sarah978 @Yes, this seems reasonable (you booked for a certain number, host agreed & was able to provide this so the host shouldn’t lose money) but the fact of the matter is that abb has proven again and again that they don’t believe in financial penalties for bad (guest) behavior. 

How about this: guest books & pays for 5. But then changes their mind. Oh dear, cancellation policy means they’ll lose money - what to do? Ah, yes, appear at listing with 10 people. Now host has 2 choices: take all 10, in order to get paid something OR refuse them and receive nothing!

Great solution ABB. Between this and extenuating circumstances hosts really are rolling the dice on any reservation not resulting in a payout. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jim472  What this means (8 come instead of 6) is that you are allowed to refuse entry. BUT in this  case a couple things will happen: 

- the guest will be allowed to review you. How do you think a stranded guest will feel about your place?

- you WILL NOT be paid (you won’t be “penalized”, ie lose SH etc, but you won’t get a dime from the guest regardless of how much time they took up in your calendar. 

Now, in light of these things you may be thinking “well, maybe I should just charge them for extra people and try to make the best of it”. 

In this case, please learn from my recent lesson: IF there is a problem with the alteration payment (declines or doesn’t go thru for some reason) that you are making within 24 hours of checkin time (ie as they’re standing on your driveway with too many people). Then your WHOLE payment can be caught up in a limbo of non-payment. So.... honestly, turning them away & not getting paid may be your best option. Bc when there is a payment issue at checkin you have every possibility of hosting all 8 and not even getting paid for the original 6. 

JJ48
Level 10
Providence, RI

I had this happen - a group of 4 showed up with a 5th person (I was out when they arrived and learned of it later) and then had 3 other people over that evening (with no notification or approval).  I called Airbnb and because they were over my occupancy of 4, they gave me a choice of having them cancelled (and keeping money per my cancellation policy) or charging them extra guest fees for everyone over the 4th person including the 3 who were just visiting.  Airbnb contacted the group who was surprisingly apologetic and paid the extra guest fees immediately  - I didn't ask them to leave and keep their money but I was given the option by Airbnb, who offered to do it for me if that was what I wanted.  Airbnb insisted that if a group has more people than my limit, this is always an option.  

But, I am curious and not sure about whether or not that an includes and infant.  I know infants are not charged for and don't count to the maximum number but if a guest books for 4 and shows up with an undeclared infant,  I don't know if the same policy stands - does anyone know?

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks @JJ48  for cutting through the speculation.  Too bad I looked at my mail late, I could have avoided a chat with CS. That said, your experience lines up with exactly what CS told me. Thanks again. For anyone that wants the pertinent part of the transcript here it is:

Jim
What if he doesn't want to cancel?

Airbnb Support
There is no mistake from your end, guests should have informed earlier before making reservation that there will be 8 guests instead of 6.

Jim
I mean he's going to lose his payment and not have a place to stay.

Airbnb Support
In case guest do not want to cancel the reservation. Please do let us know and our team will get in touch with the guest and will help you with the same.

Jim
So either he or airbnb cs will cancel and I'll still get paid correct?

Airbnb Support
It totally depends upon your mutual understanding with the guest, if you wish to issue refund to the guest, you can issue refund as well.
Yes, you will be paid, as there is no mistake from your end.