Pause listing until Airbnb fixes pricing bug - only showing base price wihout cleaning fee etc

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Pause listing until Airbnb fixes pricing bug - only showing base price wihout cleaning fee etc

Since last week Airbnb is no longer showing the full price on search results and map, only the base price.

Result : On a typical weekend searching for <$70 in Seattle brings up 300+ listings all of which are over $70. I have had several guests msg me how are confused, and it's clearly broken.

i have tried Airbnb help and Twitter - nothing is fixed. It's pointless having a short term rental on Airbnb if it operates like this since no one can find it to book it.

13 Replies 13
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

image.png

Here is a sample search - everything is above the search price, large number of useless results.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28 I am not really sure why you are confused. Your listing looks fine - unless you are expecting to have a base price of more than 45 per nite for 2 peeps.............one must search for number of guest and give dates and then cleaning fee is included. Yours looks fine to me . What do you have as your price for 1 person, 2 people and 3? As it is now your prices goes up with the 3rd person. I'll try and help if I can understand your problem...............

try searching someone elses and see how it works

best, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28 I looked and its $40 for 2  not 45....oops, my bad ---- and over Christmas its increased to 60 a night for 1 or 2 ppl and then you add the cleaning fee to that...... 

Why would you want to be the cheapest place in town??? you are so far below everyone...............????

You wanna change price on your base price and if you can't do that snooze your listing until you fix it cause you know after its booked you really don't want to 

cancel.

do you need help with how you fix it? or snooze your account??

We are hosts like you just offering help we are NOT Airbnb customer service folks.

let us know - Clara

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It worked correctly as of last week showing total fee, how is it useful if it returns 300 results all of which are over the search price ?

Here is what Airbnb help says  :

7:52 AM · Nov 19, 2018 · Twitter Lite
View Tweet activity
Replying to
@APeterfar
Hi there, the price displayed on the search results and the price range filter are based on the nightly rate excluding extras such as cleaning fees and service fees. If you have any more questions about this, please feel free to drop us a DM, and we'll be glad to assist. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28 Sorry Pete it only shows base price for everyone -----------you must be confused. So check it out you are almost 50% cheaper than everyone.........you wanna fix your base price.

I'd put it minimum $65 for 2 and charge extra for the 3rd ppl. And then when folks search they will get the nightly rate, cleaning fee and service charges added together and that's how it works for EVERYONE. Honest, just fix your base price

Wb included all fees last week inc cleaning fee. The Airbnb app includes all fees. Which is more useful ?

Try searching for a weekend in say LAX below $70. How is it helpful having 300+ results all of which are over the price you specific ? Airbnb has managed to break the most fundamental part of their product 😞

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28 Pete, Sure if you searched last week with dates included then of course it shows all included on the screen shot. But with just a search of Seattle you get the base price! 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Read this thread

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Cleaning-Fees-Including-in-Price-on-Search-Results/td-p/...

Airbnb has now revered themselves and removed the cleaning fee again....

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pete28

Yeah I agree Pete, guests have absolutely no idea how to effectively search any more! They are just fed a bunch of 'red herrings'!

And your listing is a good example.

If I just check out your listing this is what I see..... keeping mind I am looking at $AU here .

Pete 1.png

That is I guess about $40US as a nightly rate.

Now look what happens when I select one of your available dates for that one night!

Pete 2.png

Bingo, the price for that one night stay with you has trebled!

This must really give guests the sh*ts, so I understand what you are saying Pete. This does need to be addressed!

My feeling is Airbnb must state the nightly price is From $47.76. At least the guest has some incling of what is to come!

Everyone would end up with something like this.

Pete 1a.png

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4

Do you see the full price or base price when you specify date and number of guests on map or list ?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pete28

Sorry, a bit slow in gettting back to you Pete, my life here is flitting berween tasks!

Mate, when I do a map search this is what I see....your net base price.

Pete 3.png

Now that is what I see if I do not put any information into the initial search box.

As soon as I feed any information either by date or by guest into that box this  is what I see!

Pete 4.png

Total is now $133.00 AU and that is what is quite clearly shown on  here so Pete,it looks like Airbnb are not declaring either their service fees or the city taxes...both of which come out at $16 which will be added when you add specific information on your listing page instead of a general search.

Cheers.....Rob

What do you get when you search locally in Australia - is it the same base price only ?

It's hard to believe they have done this worldwide as a feature.

I looked at booking somewhere in LA for Xmas <$100 and it retuned about 400 results, all of which are in fact over $100 with cleaning and service fee. Impossible to use 😞

It will kill bookings if you are at a higher base price point.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I am having one final go at explaining to Airbnb that this is broken for the guest and host, and quite probably not legal in the EU :

Airbnb should:
modify the way it presents information on pricing from the initial search on their website, in order to ensure that, whenever properties are offered, the consumer is provided with the total price inclusive of all the applicable mandatory charges and fees, such as service and cleaning charges, or, when it is not possible to calculate the final price in advance, clearly inform the consumer that additional fees might apply;