Perfectionists?

Arun6
Level 2
Kerala, India

Perfectionists?

I have been hosting on Airbnb for about 6+ months now and I am a Superhost as well. Airbnb community is an excellent concept and benefits both the host and the guest. The goal of being a Superhost (and maintaining it) keeps the host on their toes which gives the guest a great selection of hosts to choose from. So the concept and they way Airbnb has design the whole platform is excellent; but isn't it pushing the hosts (particularly the Superhosts) to become perfectionists where they fear the guest may find even a minute problem? Fear lurks behind perfectionism in the quest for making everything perfect for the guest; fear about the review and rating. Anything can happen in a house anytime that needs repair like the Air Conditioner stops working or plumbing repairs, etc. and your mind would keep worrying if something may happen that can inconvenience the guests resulting in a not-so-good review. Remember that even a 4/5 rating is considered as a not-so-good review for a Superhost as that would bring down the overall rating under 80% 5 star ratings). While I was at a meditation retreat recently I thought about it and wondered if it is really worth to do it and what I can do to ease the mind while striving to maintain the Superhost status. I would love to hear your thoughts about it too!

8 Replies 8
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Arun6

I feel your pain - my next guests are due in one hour and I hardly dare move around my own place in the fear of dropping a hair on the stairs. Only for them to walk all over the place in their dirty shoes....

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Disclose EVERYTHING to the guests by e-mail via the ABB platform.  If the AC breaks down, let them know before arrival and let them know when the contractor will repair it.  I find that most people can deal with just about anything if they know ahead of time.  It's the surprise that ticks folks off.

As for this Super Host thing, it's kinda cool but it can't control the host.  I read a newspaper article about a wonderful, fine French chef who committed suicide a few years ago because the stress of the third Michelin star was making him mad with worry.

This is no way to live.

If a guest feels so inclined to ding me for a bowl of food scraps in the sink that haven't made it to the compost bin, I know I'm going to be upset as all get out because Cleanliness is such an important part of my life and my culture.  Tell a Latina woman that her house is dirty and we're wailing and doing the Sack and Cloth dance for days one end.

But our mental health is the most important thing and when we get to a point where this things make us batpoop crazy, then we'll know it's time to hang it up, take a step back, a break from the insanity, and regroup.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Arun6  Like you, I quickly attained Super Host status and have been able to maintain it for 5 quarters.  I am not a perfectionist but I am someone who lives in the details.  I enjoy Super Host status but I doubt my business is much affected by the designation.  I like having a Super Host phone number here in the US, but have not had that much reason to call.

When I have had conversations with guests about why they selected my place, most report they liked the pictures and were impressed by the positive reviews.  No one mentions Super Host.  

I see the challenge as personal and don't mind that reaching the standards may be at times at the whimsey of the guest.  That you were concerned about this issue at a meditation retreat suggests to me that you might not have an easy going perspective.  However that is your personal challenge and I don't think focussing on what Air BNB is or isn't doing will be productive.  

If you are in this business for the long haul, ease back on the "accelerator" and enjoy the ride.  You will continue to be great!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I am not Superhost materiel.

I don't try for Superhost status,  because I have a 3 bedroom "hostel" that shares one bathroom. No matter if I had a housekeeper that came everyday, the bathroom and kitchen will always seem sub-5 star merely because it is shared with strangers. But it serves a need.

I consistently get 77-78% 5 star ratings.

I choose not to be a Superhost - it just seems like too much worry. My cleaning expenses are already high, I just can't justify increasing my expenses for the chance that I might become a Superhost and be able to charge more.

So I try to be happy housing more budget travellers who appreciate a simple clean house.

While I do hate Airbnb's offensive warnings, I have become inurned to their ignorance .

I do hope that Airbnb will support me in the future. I do like their homesharing idea, warts and all and hope they continue this concept in the future.

We all can't  be and don't want to be corporate hotels. 

I am the street vendor who has Michelin Guide aspirations. Some of you might be thinking that your rates demand perfection. My rates are in the basement, and the Marthas are alive, well, and booking here.

I have 4 rooms in my little house and yes, I live here. I'm charging $25CAD a night, which is competitive with the area. And yes, I'm an imminent Superhost.

I've observed a direct relationship between the number of positive reviews and the expectations from (hey, these are the facts) young women. 

I use the standards set by the best cleaning service in the city. My best friend is a bleach bottle. I might go to the cottage the odd time when each guest has their own bathroom, but generally I clean every day.

But I also have 2 Himalayan Persians, and I garden and have hobbies. 90%+ of my guests are very happy!

Nonetheless, twice in the last week I have received private comments about cleanliness from young women. One was about the (carpetted) stairs, and the other was about stray cat hairs on a pair of black slacks. She's been here 3 weeks and it happened when she arrived.

Other guests - again, young females - want my unexpected-gesture-of-goodwill muffins I that bake to contain all organic ingredients. I also had ABB intervene/cancel on 2 IB's from (again) young women that are "slightly allergic" to cats. I'm dreading the next "Amy" or "Madison"!

I've updated my profile to include that this is a perfectionist-free zone. It's a 5 star experience in a 2 star price. All guests should feel welcome, comfortable, and treated as a friend. It also means that guest should be willing to accommodate, cop-operate, and accept some responsibility for their own happiness. It's my new mantra - wish me well!

Cheers,

Mandi

Hello @Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0 I love, love, love your posting and just had to look at your profile.  I smiled as I read and looked at your pictures.  There was such a sense of ease and welcoming.  I can see why you have such wonderful reviews.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I like the idea of superhost, but I know my limitations. I am not going to make myself crazy trying to hit all 5's all the time. I got dinged by my first guest because the sourdough starter I was working on to make bread with gave the "house" a funny smell. She also dinged me for being "isolated" when I am within view of two major US Interstates,  because she didn't notice I was 15 miles from the concert she was attending.

I have dogs, and cats. My home is clean, and the guest room is cleaner. I am not, however, the Hyatt Regency.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Arun0

When I just started hosting, obtaining that Superhost status was my number one aim. 
However, when I called support one day to ask about it (when I thought I should have got one but was actually 1 booking short for that), they told me that it's not important in affecting your booking rate or anything else and that I should not worry about it at all. It doesnt miraculously drive demand up or let you set sky-high prices for your listing. Just keep your guests happy, but dont go to extremes for that, and keep calm whether or not you have the superhost status - it's really not worth it.

PS - now that I have Superhost status I can personally confirm that there has not been much change in bookings, but guests' expectations on the other hand are now higher 😉