Pro-Tips: How to Respond to Profile w/ Fewer Verifications, Viewing Requests & 3rd Party Reservation

Ayman5
Level 2
Elkridge, MD

Pro-Tips: How to Respond to Profile w/ Fewer Verifications, Viewing Requests & 3rd Party Reservation

Disclaimer: It may not be for all hosts; however, it will benefit the most. I have worked on the following responses over the year with constant tweaking and assistance from other hosts. You are welcome to save, edit, change grammar, and content based on your need.

(1) Profile with Fewer Verifications than you Require— (note: it is not meant to address the absence of photo until a reservation is confirmed), "Dear Guest Name, thank you for choosing my listing. I trust you are well. Airbnb is built around trust, and an easy way to establish trust is by providing information about yourself; this is true whether you are a host or a guest. The more complete a profile is filled out, the better chance you have of establishing trust with the other person. I encourage you to follow the guidelines of Airbnb profile setup. For instance, upload a recent photo of yourself, your work email (if any), your selfies and ‎a copy of your ‎‎government-issued ID uploaded to the platform. Completion of the verification process enables us to know who we are allowing in our home. Thank you for your support in the matter. I look forward to hosting you. I am available to answer any additional questions about my space."

Note: For the scenarios below start with, “Hi Guest Name, I trust you are doing well. Thank you for choosing my listing. Your inquiry deserves a thorough response so that every aspect is clear when the reservation is made." Followed by what fits best:

(2) Viewing Request before or after the Reservation is made—"Airbnb releases contact information for hosts and guests after a reservation is confirmed. Permitting a visit before a confirmed reservation as well as arrival date is breaking of Airbnb’s Terms of Service. It is important for me to follow Airbnb policies. I encourage you to review the contents of my listing, its description, and photos. Thank you for your support in the matter. I look forward to hosting you. I am available to answer any additional questions about my space."

(3) Reservation Made by Third Party (family member, friend, etc.) "Per Airbnb policy, it is required that the reservation must be booked by the person who is going to stay at the listing. It is important for me to follow Airbnb policies. If it helps, consider referring your (insert relationship) to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking "Invite Friends". By doing so, both of you might be eligible for a referral bonus. When your (insert relationship) is ready to become an Airbnb guest, please encourage them to follow Airbnb guidelines of profile set-up. For instance, upload a recent photo of themselves, work email (if any), their selfies and ‎a copy of their ‎‎government-issued ID uploaded to the platform. Airbnb is built around trust, and an easy way to establish trust is by providing information about yourself; this is true whether you are a host or a guest. The more complete a profile is filled out, the better chance you have of establishing trust with the other person. Completion of the verification process also enables me to know who I am letting in my home. Thank you for your support in the matter. I look forward to hosting (insert relationship). I am available to answer any additional questions about my space."

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ayman5 

I think the messages are correct and usefull, but for me to many text. It can be shortened in a few sentences. After all we are not educational institutes. Regarding third party booking: guest can also ask Aibnb for permission to book for a close relative. Allthough nowhere mentioned in Terms or Help, such a permission can be given.

Best regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel, that is why I have added the disclaimer as my original message is addressing three different scenarios. Thank you for sharing about the permission from Airbnb re third party booking. 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

Glad to see that you've finally acknowledged the 'grey area' surrounding 3rd PB often facilitated by Airbnb.

Still , itwould be useful to add the proviso that even with it's permission, Airbnb will still 'not accept liability in any eventuality'. You didn't like that little clause first time I brought it to your attention, and now you conveniently ignore it.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alon1 

I do not ignore anything and it would be an important clause, if it is attached to such a permission. As a host i would always ask the guest to sent a copy of the permission anyway.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

Thanks for reply.

However, as I previously attempted to explain, Airbnb will never formerly give this 'permission'.

If they did it would be written up in 'Help' and T&Cs.

Thus as previously mentioned it was CS who informed me what to message the Guest 

If I recall correctly your response was quite negative. (I can't recall the exact wording without scrolling through the archive.)

The point it is that while it is commonly seen as OK, Airbnb will not accept liability re. Host Guarantee. So Host takes risk. That's the bottom line of the gray area. 

@Alon0, fully agree with you. It is only grey if hosts want to accept such a third party reservation and thinks has the backing of Airbnb TOS. Which as you noted, is not the case. Until then, I would use the messages in my OP. Thus far I have been very successful with the results.