Red Flag Questions

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Red Flag Questions

There are a lot of hosts who post about difficult situations here. I am always struck that there seem to have been indications in many cases that the guest may not have been a match, but the host missed or overlooked the red flag. I thought it might be helpful to list questions you get that make your "spidey sense" tingle.  Now not all of these mean you are about to have a bad experience, but perhaps this will help you weed out those who aren't the perfect fit for your space.

"How many people can stay here?" Red flag because that is listed in the reservation. They didn't read, or they are having a party. And if they didn't read, they didn't read your rules 🙂 Most hosts have pretty clear occupancy limits. Many guests like to stretch those.

"Do you allow pets?" Also, that is clearly listed. If you don't, you don't.

"Will you make an exception for my non-shedding very sweet and well trained dog?" Again, if you don't allow pets that is stated. The guilt trip questions about the sweetest, best behaved dog in the world don't bode well. 

"Will you make an exception for ...."(fill in the blank.) Normally if the interaction starts this way, there is a long list of exceptions you will be asked to make and you will be frustrated by the end of the stay. This type of guest is better served with a reservation that fits what they are actually looking for, rather than one which they want to modify to their ideal standards. 

"Do you offer discounts?" Bargain hunters are never a good sign. These guests will most often be those who try to get a free stay with a spurious complaint.

"Are you on-site?" Again, that is clearly stated in all listings (or should be. If its not in yours, make sure you are updating.) This is often code for "I would like to break rules and not get caught/maybe have a party."

"Can I have guests over during my stay? They aren't going to be there overnight." All hosts need to decide what level of access they want to give to strangers who are not paying to be at their property. Consider this one carefully. 

"Can you have (specialized item) available for me during my stay /can this be purchased?" If it's something basic that many people might want (like an iron) or you were planning on getting one anyway, maybe consider it. It does start the stay off a bit oddly as the guest can clearly see what your amenities are. But I once had a guest whose life was about to end if she didn't get a specific kind of garlic press. Those kinds of high maintenance "must haves" really cross the line between guest stay and "this is my house and it needs to be stocked with my favorites...like Beyonce's contract rider for what she needs in her dressing room." I have seen hosts post on here that they purchased furniture to a guest's liking. Just say no. What you have on offer is stated.

"Do you have a pool?" Uh, if we did, you would see it listed. Again super obvious they have not read the listing in any way, shape or form.

"Can I check out late?" We actually don't care about this one as we don't do back-to-back reservations. But if you do, this is another guest boundary pusher. Your space may not be a fit. 

What do you have to add, fellow hosts?

88 Replies 88
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I think that covers most common red flags. 

I'd only add the bleedin' obvious, like just joined, no history, no profile + one or more of the above. 

Perhaps one or two that I missed, such as "we are a group of 8 professionals". Uh huh, what "profession"? Housewrecking, perhaps? It's a trendy thing. 

How about "I'm booking [your 8 person villa] for my parents' 20th wedding anniversary. It will only be the two of them. What is the price for 2 persons? How many bedrooms can they use?". 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

One obvious flag that I forgot to mention is when they ask for more photos, sent to their (blocked) email address. This is an old scam. They want the original photos so they can recreate your lusting elsewhere, and collect the money for bookings. 

Now, recently, I quickly declined an enquiry because that's what they asked for. But he wrote back, (nicely) asking me to explain why I declined. So, I told him. 

He then told me they're a real family, and only want to see different photos or higher resolution photos. I just told him that if 30 photos isn't enough, then he should read the reviews. 

Never heard back. 

@Elaine701 Lol. Needs to see MORE and BETTER than the 30 photos you already supply? In other words,  'I'm-super-fussy-I -won't-be-happy-with-anything-you-do-and-have-a-million-issues-with-my-stay-plus-leave-you-a-less-than-stellar-review-full-of-nitpicky-complaints'. Huge red flag.

Well dodged.

@Elaine701  Higher resolution photos??? Your photos are great (as I'm sure you know). What's he want to do, check for dust bunnies under the couch?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I don't know. There's all kinds out there 🙄

Oh, and thanks, Colleen. I try, but they do make it through the gauntlet occasionally 😏

Is it okay to decline a potential guest's inquiry to book just because you have a bad feeling about them? I was relieved that you mentioned "no history, no profile" as an "obvious" red flag.  We were all new at some point, right? But these inquiries I keep getting (3 so far) don't sound right. They are missing the friendliness and the politeness.

If you decline an inquiry to prebook, you are asked to state your reason. Is it okay NOT to provide one? Are there any penalties for automatically declining potential guests who have no reviews and no photos?

@Katherine92  Are you aware of the difference between Inquiries and Requests? Because they are handled differently. If it's an Inquiry, the options shown are pre-approve or decline. But you don't have to do either. All you have to do for an Inquiry is message them back within 24 hrs. So don't decline inquiries, ever, because declines count against you. 

If it's a Booking request, the options are accept or decline. You must do one or the other within 24 hrs, but use that time to communicate with guests to get a sense of them, make sure they have read your description thoroughly, including house rules, and entered the correct number of guests. If they are asking for things outside of your rules or things you don't provide, briefly explain that your place won't be a good fit for them and ask them to please withdraw the request so they can look for a place that meets their needs. If they withdraw the request before the 24 hrs is up, you won't need to decline. 

No, you can't just keep declining guests just because they have no reviews. Airbnb will send you threatening messages about suspending you if you decline too much. 

You won't know if a guest has a real face photo until after a booking is confirmed- hosts can't see a guest's photo until then. But state in your listing that you require a real profile photo.

Re missing the friendliness and politeness- yes, this never sits well, but some newbie guests don't understand that it's not like booking an impersonal hotel room. Most of my guests send friendly informative initial messages, but I have also gotten messages that just say, "Arriving at noon" or "Looking forward to coming". 

In that case, I send a friendly message back asking them a question designed to determine if theey have actually read the listing info and to jog them to be more forthcoming. This has always, for me at least, resulted in a good response, and the feeling that they understood they hadn't communicated well.

So it might go something like:

"Hi XX, thank you for your request. I am just checking that you read through the emtire description and are aware that the is a cat on the premises ( in case you have allergies) and that it's a 20 minute walk from my place to town and the beach?"

"Oh, yes, I did read the listing info and I have no issues with cats. I also am quite outdoorsy and love to walk, so the walk to town is fine with me. I' ve signed up for surf lessons, so I'll be up pretty early and probably be out most of the day. "

There's also nothing wrong with saying to a non-communicator, "Hi XX, thanks for your inquiry.  I see that you are new to Airbnb, so you may think of it like booking a hotel room, but hosts like to know a bit about guests before accepting a booking. As you have no reviews yet, and haven't filled out any bio info on your profile, could you tell me a bit about yourself, your reasons for booking here, and your general plans while here? Are you on vacation, working online from home, attending a special event? Hope to hear back from you soon."

Definitely if you get a bad feeling about someone you should follow your gut, but try to give them chance to communicate beetter before you simply dismiss them. 

That message I got that just said "Arriving at noon"? He turned out to be a very sweet and appreciative guy who was no problem at all and left a great review. 

My general experience is that middle aged folks "get it" and send polite, friendly, informative messages and the younger ones whose daily communication generally revolves around one-liner texting need to be prodded a bit. 

It's like the first the first time posters here on the forum whose first post consists of "Hi. I have some questions".

As if they are texting with a friend. They don't get the discussion forum concept, i.e, you just ask your question, give some context to make your issue clear, and people will answer. 

Thank you SO much, Sarah! Your post was incredibly helpful, so full of useful advice. I didn't know that declined inquiries count against you. I have declined two of them already. Won't do that again. I don't get requests because I accept instant bookings. (I might have chosen the option where you don't take instant bookings from guests without any reviews. Otherwise, why would I hear from these folks via their inquiries?) 

Anyway, I'm grateful for the time you took to school me on: 1. the best way to interact and get more information, to see if a newbie potential guest might actually be a great one; 2. A friendly way to make sure the guest who just reserved my place and left no introduction in messages actually read the details of my listing; and 3. how to not get in trouble with Airbnb by declining when I don't have to.

I am finishing up the end of my first month as a new host, and it's been trouble-free. My guests have all been really good and my place has been consistently booked. Knock on wood.

@Katherine92  I may be wrong about declining inquiries counting against you- the easiest way to check if that is true is by looking at your Acceptance rate stat before you decline an inquiry, and then again after, to see if it lowers. If you've  declined a couple already, see if your Acceptance rate is still at 100%. If so, then it's only Request declines that are penalized.

I have never declined an inquiry, as all that's necessary is to message back, so I never really checked it. 

Yes, you'd be getting inquiries from any guests who don't meet your IB requirements. So they will generally be from newbies. But like you said, we all started out with no reviews- if no one ever took a chance on a new host with no reviews, or a new guest, Airbnb wouldn't have been able to ever exist. 

In my case, I've never used IB, so I get inquiries sometimes instead of requests for various reasons and often those inquiries are from experienced guests with good reviews and nice profile write-ups, rather than just from newbies. (In fact, it's the newbies in my case who will send a request just to ask questions, because they don't know that they should be sending inquiries instead).

With the non-newbies, I'll answer whatever question they might have asked and go ahead and pre-approve them if their communication was good and they have a history of good reviews. Then they can either just go on to book if they want, or not. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

As you might already know, the red flag for me is ANY and EVERY question. I don't care what is it. 

@Emilia42 I was just thinking along the same lines. Was going to simplify @Laura2592‘s query and say basically, if a guest leads with anything other than “Hi Colleen! I  am so excited to stay at your lovely listing, and I will be bringing my spouse, whose full name is John Jones, and my children,  Emily and Alfred Jones, for a nice weekend away to explore your area. Looking forward to hearing from you!.....red flags.

@Colleen253  How is that a red flag. That is exactly what I want to know. When I get a message that says their full name and the name of their spouse and friends and then they tell me why they are coming those have been my best guests (because I ask guests to tell me that from the beginning).

The ones that say
"your place available?"
"Do you have discounts?"
"Can I come early?"
etc..  - and don't say who they are, don't have ID verified, etc. Those are easy to pass on.

@Christine615 I said if a guest leads with anything other than that....the ‘anything else’ falls under red flag.

I was just trying to simplify, lol. 

@Christine615  Colleen said if the guest leads with anything other than that info, it's a red flag.