Red flag?

Christine2088
Level 2
Andover, KS

Red flag?

Just got instant booking a few hours ago for tomorrow through Tuesday from local guest. Message: "Hello my apartment is currently going through renovations/makeover and just needing somewhere to stay for a few nights, it is just me and i am a college student currently have midterms so will be mainly focusing on that. thank you!"

Is this a red flag?

7 Replies 7
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Imo no. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Chances are they're legit. I looked at your listing. I don't think some crazy person would book your stay when it's you AND your husband living there.

My first guest was having his home fumagated for termites AND he booked via some woman's account (who he said was his wife) and she was listed as living overseas. I thought for sure it was some sort of scam, but he turned out to be legit. I had him start up his own Airbnb account and rebook.

Nevertheless I would advise against accepting InstantBook in the future unless maybe you're trying to take advantage of being able to screen out people who have no reviews, which InstantBook lets you do. You'll get people who want to bring pets (against your rules), more people than allowed, no photo uploaded, 3rd party booking like I mentioned earlier, have bad reviews, etc, etc.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Christine2088 sounds ok to me. She's communicated a valid reason and its unlikely she would book a room in someone's home if she was up to no good. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Christine2088 Sounds perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't worry.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yup, I'd be clicking on the 'accept' button. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I can't find something suspicious. My neighbors two floors below did the same when their apartment was under renovation-they rented another apartment, two blocks away.

Christine2088
Level 2
Andover, KS

Update: After calling Airbnb, and asking why her last name was not visible yet her ID had been verified, I was told she had logged in to change her last name to "L." after it had been verified. This seems very suspicious. She had a very unique first name spelling and when I did a search it pulled up a house (not apartment) in a sketchy part of town. I went ahead and passed on this one.