Refund to Guest

Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

Refund to Guest

I am torn on this issue.    I had a guest looking forward to her one night stay with her mother tonight.  Last night she cancelled because her husband was hospitalized.  I just have a guest room in a residential area with a flexible cancellation policy.  Tonight would probably have been booked.  I am sympathetic and would like to issue a refund because of the circumstances.  I would definitely refund if it is rebooked.  What does everyone else do?  Thanks.

6 Replies 6
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Howard42  AirBnB will probably end up refunding her in full for extinuiating circumstances. You really should change your cancellation policy to at least moderate, so the guest has something to lose and cannot just change or cancel bookings at the last minute. My policy is strict, if a guest cancels and I can rebook the days I usually refund what I was able to rebook, but only after I am paid for the stay. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Howard42

Howard, please don't be torn on this issue, refund the guest! Look at it this way, you had to prepare the listing anyway, she has not arrived and used anything. The only thing is you may have missed out on an alternate booking for the night. Believe me the goodwill you generate will come back to you mate!

Here is a post I made the other day about exactly the same situation as you.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-great-is-Airbnb-s-service/m-p/852450#M208675

I had to actually ask CX to refund the guest because the cancellation was for the day the stay was to commence. Howard, sometimes we just have to take a hit, but, in reality you will feel a better human being for doing it....and isn't that is what life is all about, being a better human being!

Cheers......Rob

PS:....Here is the review for that failed stay......

review for cancelled stay.png

Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

@Letti0@Robin4  Thanks.  Do I understand that if the guest establishes to AIrbnb extenuating circumstances that they will not only refund the service fee, but also my booking charge?  Or do I misunderstand.  Do they charge me back or not?  Since I have never had to refund I don't want to refund until the money hits my account or an accident could happen and I would pay twice.  I appreciate all the good advice, and I totally agree about the good will.  Should I write the guest and explain to her the extenuating circumstances? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Howard42

What will happen Howard, if you choose to refund the guest and just work through the refund procedure in the message stream the guest will be refunded what you would have been paid but in most instances, not the service fees. If you go back through the link of mine you will see that by me calling CX and speaking with an agent I was able to get the entire amount refunded including the Airbnb service fees. The guest was ecstatic and I know he will stay in the future...I have built up that goodwill!

Because you have not already been paid for the stay then your postition won't be affected....you just won't get a payment for that reservation. What happens if the host has already been paid the refund will be taken from the hosts next payouts.

Cheers......Rob

@Howard42  I would advise her to contact AirBnB for a refund. You will probably recieve the money tomorrow unless she calls today. If you recieve it before she calls, do not refund it yourself. AirBnB will take the money out of your next booking that you will be paid to make up for what they sent you. If you refund and they refund you will have to fight to get your money back. Here's the number for her to call.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

@Letti0@Robin4  Thanks, This is a first for me and I want to do it right.