Request expired even though I messaged guest

Holly38
Level 1
Eugene, OR

Request expired even though I messaged guest

The prospective guests request expired even though I sent a reply message within 24 hours. I do not like to accept a booking until I am absolutely sure that my home will meet their needs and there were a few issues that needed clarifying. The guest did not respond to my message until after the request had expired and she would like to book the reservation. I have pre-approved her, but it sounds like she will have to jump through additional hoops. I work as a nurse in an operating room and my schedule is very rigid. I do not have flexibility to check my phone throughout the day every day. I do not think it is fair that my response rate should be impacted if I have replied to the guest within 24 hours. Also, the website has become less user friendly. It took me 10 minutes of searching to get here and lots of through clicking on my very short lunch. I used to be able to chat directly with airbnb and I am very disappointed that they have removed this feature.

3 Replies 3
Mark472
Level 1
Bampton, GB

I had a reservation request which I accepted within a few hours and messaged the guest I heard nothing from the guest, then had a reminder from Airbnb so I accepted the guest a second time. Then got a message to say reservation had expired even though on my listing I can see the request and see my response.

Jim603
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Holly. Did you receive any additional information on your expired request from Airbnb? I am in a similar situation where I responded to get additional information (new user, no review, just signed up on Airbnb) and the listing has now expired because they did not respond to my email. My schedule is also tight. If I declined the request it would open up my calendar which causes a new issue as someone else can book those dates. I am not sure the proper procedure. Did you figure this out?  Thanks! Jim

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jim603 

You must act on an inquiry or on a booking request within 24 hours.

Mandatory:

An inquiry: just answer the question (if you let it expire, it affects your response rating).

A booking request: accept or decline. If you let it expire,it affects you acceptance rating and response rating + requested dates are blocked (you can make them available again)

Third option: if guests want something not possible (like bringing more persons then maximum), ask guest to retract the booking request (within the time limit)

Best regards,

Emiel