Restricted areas from Guests

Mary703
Level 6
San Jose, CA

Restricted areas from Guests

My home is currently under renovations, and I have my kitchen door curtained off. In my listing I clearly state no kitchen access, and I thought the curtain would make it obvious, but I recently found guest food in the fridge, dishes that were used, etc., and this isn't the first time. Since that area of my house I have tools, paint cans, remodeling items, and it is not safe for a guest to use, as well at any given time my dirty laundry baskets are there, etc.

Is it rude to put a sign that says "No Guests" like employee areas in hotels and restaurants? Do I put a camera in that doorway? To have guests wandering around my restricted areas of the house to me is like having someone go into my underwear drawer....would love any suggestions!

8 Replies 8
Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

I would accept any reservations while your home is unsafe for guests.

Hotels might put up "Employee only" signs but they also close off unsafe areas so guests don't have access to those areas. If a guest gets hurt in an area that is unsafe, it will be a hit to your insurance and will cause a major hassle and a lot of time to deal with their claims.. not worth it.

A sign will help with any insurance claims but it will still be an issue.

A camera in the hallway isn't going to help. They guests are not hidding the fact they have been in the kitchen. I would stop taking reservations while the area is unsafe or seal off the kitchen by putting up a temp. door that can be locked or nailed closed.

I can see your point on an insurance level, but the point is also that guests are wandering into areas that are blocked off. If I leave my bedroom door unlocked will a guest feel free to go in there as well?

@Mary703  yes they will. That's why keys and locks were invented 🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Mary703 

I have 3 areas in my home with this sign:

PRIVATE (large font)

No guest access (smaller font)

Thank you!

It doesn't feel offensive to me and in 50+ guests so far I've never had a single issue! (I know because I have motion sensor cameras in those areas which are disclosed in my listing) Maybe the "thank you" makes it seem less "KEEP OUT OF MY STUFF!!" LOL!

One is on a bedroom door directly across from the guest room. Another is on the door to the garage. And the third is pinned to a curtain covering the hallway (which includes a laundry area/closet) to my room.

I also think guests appreciate clear lines. Okay, this area I can't go in, but anything not marked is fair game. It actually might make guests feel more comfortable about the common areas as it's clear, I'm allowed to hang out and relax here!

EDIT TO ADD: I know the cameras won't keep people out, but at least I'd have verifiable proof if anyone did get the urge to snoop or steal.

Thank you! That helps! I think a couple of situations is also a language barrier - if they don't translate the listing, they don't know what's in it.  : (     I do want my guests to feel comfortable, and that they don't have to scurry into their room, but there are places that I want to know that I don't have to keep scrubbed down, lol.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

@Mary703 I think anytime you rent out anything, whether it's a room in a house or the whole house you have to expect that the guest will go into rooms or drawers that are not locked. Signs may stop some but there will be someone who ignores them and goes into them and you can express to them not to go in there but most likely someone will. It is unfortunate that this is the case but as they say 'it is what it is". My recommendation is if you don't have it locked you should expect that people are going to go into there and not have anything out that you don't want them to see.

I guess that is the actual risk, but I don't think the spirit of AirBNB should be "all of my personal belongings are fair game unless it has a padlock".  

@Mary703  "spirit of Airbnb" is lost long ago 😞