Reviewing guest

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

Reviewing guest

How long has a guest got to make a review?     I gave my last guest (a couple and 2 young kiddies) a 5 star review.   They were nice, and they also seemed appreciative of my B&B.   The wife said she loved my coffee, fresh ground beans presented in her own personal silver plunger.     I asked if she would include 'good coffee' in my review.    

Well, I've given them a great review.   But there is complete 'radio silence' from them.    

I have made recent improvements to my Airbnb.      I invested in a set of Royal Doulton pure Irish Linen sheets, and some 400TC Egyptian cotton sheets.    Furnished the dining room with some divine antique furniture and rich soft furnishings.    Fine bone china to serve breakfast on.   

I had better reviews without all the improvements I made.      So I messaged the guest this morning:   

Hi Tom,
I want to thank you for staying with me, I hope you enjoyed the improvements I've made. You're the first to have the pure linen sheets. I've invested quite a lot of money in Royal Doulton pure linen sheets and 400 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and I wonder if guests will notice the quality, or whether it is not worth providing those things because they are not noticed anyway.

Also, I forgot to show you the bath robes in the closet - I must type up a little page of reminders for the guest.
(your wife) said she enjoyed my fresh ground coffee too which I appreciated the feedback on.

Could I ask you to write me a nice little review of your stay, mentioning the coffee which Lacey liked, the toys which the children liked, and the beach camp fire dinner? It would help me immensely.

Thanking you in advance,

31 Replies 31
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't think you read my post properly @Deborah614 . It is not the asking for a review that I have an issue with. As I mentioned in my post it is the sending of a text that i would find intrusive.

As hosts we can mention in person how we value reviews and would appreciate the guest leaving one, we can leave information in our guest books, and we can add to the many reminders Airbnb send to the guest post check out.

I absolutely hate anyone who I have done business with trying to use my personal phone to solicit sales or ask for reviews. in fact in Europe if you want to do this, you have to ask the person you are contacting to 'opt in' to receiving your marketing/sales  communications.

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

I don't think you read my post properly @Helen3  . Where did I say I sent a text on a personal phone?    I didn't.    I used the Airbnb messaging platform to send a message.    In fact a number of messages, between guest and host has already taken place both on the Airbnb messaging and our mobile phones.   

While you are right that in order to solicit you cannot direct communicate with a PROSPECT unless they opt in.   But my guest is not a prospect.  He/she is now a customer.   We have a thing called a relationship.   Which gives us both the freedom to communicate.  

Helen, I've studied and practiced Direct Marketing and CRM.   There is nothing in the law that says you cannot communicate with existing customers.   And my guest is my existing customer.   So saying my guest has to 'opt in' to receiving messages is just nonsense, Helen.    My guest gave me his mobile phone number, so I can phone or text him when ever, and about what ever, I jolly well please.    And luckily, I was able to 'text' him to let him know I found some jewellery in their room after they left.   Do you think he has to 'opt in' in order for me to return their possessions to them?      

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Deborah614  please read my original post again.

I was replying to @Ben551  who suggested texting. Not to you.

The guest doesn't give you their phone number. Airbnb shares it with you when they book. Airbnb says clearly that all communications should be kept on their platform.

In over three years and hundreds of guests I have only contacted them by phone a handful of times to respond to them. Guests tend to use their phone to text or call only when they are running late for check in.

I have proactively contacted a guest once by phone, when they hadn't confirmed their check in time with me and I had no idea when they would arrive.

Peter75
Level 2
Eastbourne, United Kingdom

Hi Debbie,

That's so amusing re the jewellery.

I too sometimes wonder why guests don't leave reviews  when they seem more than satisfied with the offering. Mostly I leave it to them but on the odd occasion I do ask them to leave a review. If your guest is a "newbie" and has no reviews you can always suggest it is good to have a couple of reviews under their belt.

Good Luck

Peter

thanks @Peter75 .    The forum has helped me to put reviews in their proper perspective.   My profile and pictures are the most important to people looking for a place to stay.     The picture of an actual breakfast table setting, or a beautifully appointed bedroom,  is worth more than some review.   

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Deborah614 

I'm not sure if you are kidding? English is not my first language so I might misunderatsnd what you are writing?

@Sandra856     What is it you think I said?   

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Deborah614 If you send him the message with the missing solid gold jewellery? 🙂

@Sandra856     Yes, I have sent my guest a message advising that I found an item of solid gold jewellery.   And if they can say what it is, and send me a courier bag, I will send it to them.     

What you think I said, is exactly what I said.   

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Deborah614 But did you actually find jewellery or is it just because you want them to respond to the missing review? 

@Sandra856   

I actually found some jewellery.   Did you think I would lie about such a thing just to get them to respond???    You definitely got the wrong end of the stick, Sandra.   

After commenting here that my guest had not given me a review, which I was not happy about, I actually found a solid gold ring.   With pearls.   that is the truth.  Do you want a picture?      I messaged my guest about it immediately.  

Perhaps the guest will see that even though they check out and forget the host, the host's job is not yet done!      We still have to follow them up with lost possessions.    We therefore deserve better from some guests, who fail to leave a good review when a good review is deserved.  

@Deborah614 I just didn't understand what it was all about. It looked like Ben thought that it was a funny way of getting in contact with the guest with his "hahaha..reply". But I could also have misunderstood his reply. That is why I'm asking you. 

Gosh, perhaps Ben also thought it was a fake plan.   I noticed he said , hahaha, but my impression he was laughing at the coincidence of a guest who would not show a small courtesy by engaging in a review,  in return for lots of additional treats and favours, having left a gold ring behind.      

Regardless of how the guest behaves, I will still treat them as well as I would treat anyone.  And ask them to send me a courier envelope with their return address on it, so I can return the item.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Deborah614  If they were nice guests, which it seems they were, there may be reasons they haven't left a review that you haven't considered, rather than them just not bothering. For all you know, they may have had a death, accident, or illness in the family that is consuming their time and their thoughts and an Airbnb review isn't at all important in the current scheme of things, nor would even responding to let you know that, be. Letting guests know that reviews are important to hosts before they check out is fine, as is sending them a gentle reminder a few days before the review period expires, but anything more than that I'd find intrusive and badgering.

And as another host mentioned, if guests have finished a booking and don't have any more lined up in the near future, they often don't pay attention to their Airbnb account or messages. 

BTW, no, Kindles aren't terribly expensive, the guest who left it 3 years ago obviously doesn't care about it, so why should you? Learn to use it- my friends who have them absolutely love them. It's not stealing to use or pass on something a guest left which you offered to send back and they didn't act on it.

Thanks @Sarah977 .   You're right, I haven't considered that their lives are in total upheaval right now.   Which will explain no response to my texting Tom and saying I found some gold jewellery left behind.   

I have 4 guests arrive tonight, so I'm letting that go into the past.   the present is a Gift!