Reviews : why can't I leave one ?

Jaqi0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Reviews : why can't I leave one ?

My first guests checked out yesterday; they were wonderful and I'd love to give them a 5* review but I haven't received the email invitation to do so, and when I go into Host/Reviews/Reviews By You it says "Nobody to review right now. Looks like it’s time for another trip!". Shouldn't I have got an email yesterday?

Since they were my first booking I'm also relying on their review (I know they were happy) to secure my future business, but maybe they've not got an email invitation to do so either. What should I do?

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jaqi0 It takes about 24 hours or so after your stated check out time for Airbnb to send the automatic "write a review for xxxx" message.  The one I just got was about 25 hours after check out. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jaqi0...Hi Jaqi, It will come...that email generally takes 24-36 hours but you will be prompted. You have to understand the Airbnb system is an automated platform...virtually nothing happens on a manual basis.

You will be asked to leave a review and you will have a 14 day window in order to do that.

Jaqi, think long and hard about what you are going to write. They may have been great guests but, keep the 'passion' under control. Remember whatever you write will stay with you for as long as you host with Airbnb so be objective, constructive, not just to the guest but to other hosts and guests. Remember Jaqi everyone wants to see you as a nice genuine person!

At the same time your guest also receives the same message to do the same of you, and your hosting. Neither host or guest get to see each others reviews until BOTH reviews have been received and posted by Airbnb.

Just a little tip Jaqi, there is a message window left open after a guest leaves and sometimes when the alloted time for leaving a review is close to expiry, I send a short little 'Hello I hope you enjoyed your stay as much as I loved having you' message with a nice prompt to drop a line or two onto the review window....some people are just so busy they forget...and that in general gets a response.

Good luck Jaqi.....I hope it's the first of many for you....Cheers.....Rob

Thanks, Rob, that's very helpful. Do you think that because my checkout time is 'flexible' the email prompt might be a little slower? It's now well past 24 hours since they checked out (in fact, it's a few hours since my *second* guests checked out), although it's not yet 36 hours, so I'm not panicking - just curious. I'm booked fairly solidly for the next six weeks, so it's a sharp learning curve I'm on 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jaqi0 It would be highly unusual to not receive a review prompt but, there have been instances in the past! If you have not received it by the time 48 hours have elapsed after the guest has left contact Airbnb on 02 8520 3333 and they will take care of it for you.

The only odd thing about contacting Airbnb, you will be asked by the automated answering gateway to insert the phone number you use for Airbnb contact followed by the # key. It will probably tell you that that number is not recognised and to try again. Repeat the procedure and you will possibly get the same response again! After the fourth attempt you will be allowed through the gateway and you will be talking with someone, generally within 2 minutes....It really is that quick Jaqi.

Why this 'circus' happens on getting through is anyones guess but it does not just happen to me, it happens to other hosts I have talked to, so I just warn you how to cope with it if it happens to you....cheers.....Rob

LOL that's brilliant - thank you so much. Happy hosting 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

On your point @Robin4, this does sound a little strange, I have made a note of this and have passed it over to the team.

In general it is really good to hear  the Support Team have been a great help to you, thanks for sharing. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Robin4 @Jaqi0  One thing many guests and hosts forget is that ALL reviews become public after 14 days.  So if a host reviews a guest and the guest does not review the host, the host's review will become public. Same is true the other way around.