Rugby World Cup, Japan

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Rugby World Cup, Japan

The All Blacks v Ireland Rugby Game overnight and AB's winning over Ireland is just a game folks.

Boys will be boys kicking and running with balls out on a playing field.

All the best to all Hosts & Guest within the ABB Community.

To those in Japan, how are you finding the tourists to & in your homes?

How are you who have been traveling finding the Japanese cultural & hospitality?

12 Replies 12
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

Two responses:

Firstly, your enquiry would appropriately include the recent devastating Typhoon Hagibis affecting locals and tourists.

Secondly, re 'Boys will be boys'. I wonder if it's escaped your attention that girls have played rugby for a considerable period of time. First in the 1880s, and the Woman's World Cup first started in 1991, only four years after the Men's World Cup. New Zealand Women have dominated even more than in the men's game, having won it 5 times.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you @Alon1, yes I am aware of the other issues and of course my thoughts are with those who have been effected by natural disasters in Japan and across the world.

Have you been watching/ listening to the rugby?
Which team/s have you cheered on?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 

I'm surprised no one has answered your query, though I don't recall many Japanese Hosts contributing to CC. I wonder if there is a Japanese part of the site? If so, there's probably already quite a lot of accounts from both Hosts & Guests from the past few weeks. 

I have watched selectively as I normally do, choosing the games that were likely to be most interesting & competitive. 

Japan have been the most scintillating to watch, their handling skills & movement were amazing.

Let's hope they keep evolving.

But so too the All Blacks in their demolition of Ireland. They seem to be the most accomplished team and I expect them to beat England in the semi-final and then South Africa in the final.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Helen427 

Ah come on, Helen.. thats just rubbing it in now! We weren't just beaten by the ABs... we were hammered! 😉

Did you know though, Beauden Barrett and his brothers Scott and Jordi played Gaelic football in Ireland long before they ever played rugby in New Zealand? Their family lived on a dairy farm in County Meath for a time, back in the early 2000's, and the boys and their dad played for the club in the local village? So we had them first! 😉

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/one-meath-village-divided-loyalties-20646526.amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/father-of-all-blacks-barrett-clan-has-plenty-to...

This is Beauden a few years ago, paying a visit to the Ballinacree school that he attended when he was a little lad, and doing the haka for the local kids, much to their amusement..

https://youtu.be/JnQ-zJIspT8

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 After today's game I am tempted to say "Beauden who?" 

I have been to more rugby matches than I can remember, was at the RWC final at Twickenham in 1991 and the one in Paris in 2007.  Never have I seen such a complete and comprehensive display by England as I saw today, so a massive "Well done" to them by a grateful and happy fan.  

@Rachel0 

Kills me to say it.. but the boys done good! A very entertaining performance, and a well-deserved win for our arch-rivals England! Best of luck on Saturday (we'll secretly be cheering you on, but don't let anyone know! 😉)

Ireland Rugby Legends React As Rivals England Reach World Cup Final

https://extra.ie/2019/10/26/sport/rugby/england-rugby-world-cup-final

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Alon1 @Rachel0 @Susan17 @Lizzie @Stephanie  and @everyone_else 

It was hilarious watching England beat our All Blacks team last night from mover here in New Zealand

Watched it alongside a couple from Norfolk & Wales & hi 5's all around.

It was a fun atmosphere and the pearls of delight when the AB's finally scored was deafening!

Well done Team England & the English Rose, Stand Tall & Be proud as I am proud that they won.

Sometimes other teams need to receive the accolades they deserve over and above the All Blacks.

Gutted for Japanese who do love the AB's however many of you have also visited and are a part of England.

All the best for the remaining games.

@Susan17  Good on you for claiming some of those now based in New Zealand!!

May we all remember where_ever we are from Sport can and does reunite

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Extra kudos for me, being from Rugby too! @Helen427 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

As a bit of a fan of rugby, it's nice to have a discussion on it @Helen427.

It was a cracking game last Saturday, I've watched many games over the years with either my hands over my eyes or from behind the sofa, so I'm a little in shock. It's always great to watch the NZ team, they are quite memorising to watch. 🙂 

It's an exciting few years for Japan with both the Rugby World Cup and the Olympics. I remember going to a couple of the Olympics here in the London, including one of my favourite which was the triathlon which was free to watch in the park. The buzz across the city was wonderful. 

Have you ever been to any olympic or big sport event? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Rachel0 @Stephanie @Lizzie @Susan17 @Alon1 

Yes this weekends games sure will be worthwhile watching.

@Lizziedid you support the AB's over and above Team England?

You must stop hiding behind the couch & hands & watch the game or you miss the good bits!

@Stephaniewho named the location of Rugby??

@Susan17Good on you for your supporting the opposition to.

Yes I've been to a few major sports events including the Melbourne Cup Horse Racing Carnival, it's awesome to attend so add it to the list of events to attend.

Have you attended any major sporting events?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

All the best Team South Africa & England in tonight's game.

Thanks Japan for the brilliant efforts & hospitality of all you have looked after.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Well Done to all the Teams who played and participated in the Rugby World Cup.

You are all winners as you have all helped unite the world to make it a Better place.

I hope you have all taken something postive away from it and spread goodwill wherever you may venture.