Rules, rules and more rules!

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Rules, rules and more rules!

Hi all - every time I host another guest, it seems they do something that requires me to think about adding yet another note and/or House Rule. Guests quite often fail to read the House Rules, and the notes too, so I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me on how you handle this issue. Where-oh-where does it end??!

I know that having too many House Rules causes guests to go into some sort of zoned-out state, where no information can or will be absorbed. I get it. So, what to do?

Our last guests shut the furnace switch off! - no self-respecting Canadian would shut a furnace off in October, but they did & yes, they are Canadians. No harm done, the inside temp. only went down to 12C by the time I got there, but what if this had been January? Burst pipes are not a cheap fix. Now there's yet another note added, above the furnace control - "Please do not shut the furnace off, adjust heating using the thermostat (up or down)". Srsly? Should I really have to tell people this?

I have a 4 point Check-out list beside the front door. My instructions are simple but guests rarely score 4/4:

1. Close all windows and lock all doors (windows are left open all the time, including by the guests who also shut the furnace off!)

2. Ensure lights and fans are shut off (50/50 on this one)

3. Collect all your garbage & recycling & take it with you or leave it in the garage (most just leave their trash in the bins, both in the kitchen and bathrooms. I hate emptying other people's bathroom trash.)

4. Set the alarm (believe it or not, most also miss this one) and lock the door when you leave (1 set of guests missed this one).

Am I asking too much??

There's a tremendous level of trust involved when we leave our property in the hands of others. Most of our guests have understood this, have been appreciative and respectful of our belongings, but I don't understand why some don't take it seriously. We live about 45 minutes away from our property & try to get out to check the day of check-out, but I had stomach flu & Brian's working so didn't get out until the next day in this case. I'll make sure one of us gets out there on the day guests leave during the winter, in case we have another shut off furnace switch, water left running or who knows what else.

Maybe I just answered my own question - no note or new House Rule needed, just go out and save the place from disaster on check-out day. Thanks for listening to me vent - Karen

17 Replies 17
Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Momi0 on the subject of clients who don't read your listing.... had a client keep coming back with questions answered on my listing and I was getting quite irritated, but I answered them anyway. Then finally I though, seriously?? So before responding I went to my listing (from my iPhone) to read exactly how and where I'd answered his questions in my listing. But the weird thing was I wouldn't actually click through to all the great stuff I'd written. When I clicked "read more" it just went through to the map. No matter what I did I couldn't actually read all the info. Is this just some weird glitch with my listing, or true of all listings when using a smart phone?  So I am now thinking I will give clients the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they are on an iPhone? 

Can an anyone else solve this msytery?

Here are photos of what the screen looks like  The first one is when I click on "read more" the second photo is the listings open pageimage.jpegimage.jpeg

@Roz4  Have you updated the Airbnb app on your smart phone?  I dont' have that problem when I do a weekly check from my Airbnb account app through my Iphone.  Everything shows.  Every guests has admitted they "skimmed" my listing, or just didnt' know to use link "click more" or they really just didn'dt know to SCROLL DOWN to keep reading.  Some people seriously just don't know technology, but 99.9% of the folks who use a Smart phone do know how to read....because I catch them reading the Gossip Celebrity columns on their cell phones..LOL.  But I am not sure why this is happening to you....when is the last time you powered down your phone?   I have had guests who showed me their smart phones upon arrival because they wanted me to see how hard it was to use the Airbnb app, but I quickly show them that they are just missing the RED LINK marked...."Read More"....or "Click to read More"...etc.  And then they say...oops...Sorry Momi, I guess you did have a Guidebook to read after all. 

Quick suggestion:  I know you only have 3 rules, but might I suggest you add to your House Rules about Arrival times.  Even IB guests have to read and honor all House Rules.  Especially since this seem to be so important to you.  Its definitely one of my rules.

Can't wait to find out what your "Winnebago" prize wil be?  NZ is one of my BUCKET LIST places...and I hosted a Superhost from there (North Aukland) and can't wait to see Bev again.   Hope to add you to my booking list. I want to win a prize....LOL.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Momi0 P-L-E-A-S-E wont you tell me your guest prize for reading the rules!!! So far mine has only been a box of chocolates!!!