Safety Concern Please Answer!

Ashley127
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Safety Concern Please Answer!

Hi there,

I have an inquiry that I don't feel good about. A guest, who has only been verified with phone number and email NOT photo ID and only been a member since June 2017 (this month) with no reviews, keeps asking about the security of the home. He's asking about my security system in the house and around the neighborhood. He tried to get me to email him out of the Airbnb app.

What do I do to make sure my home isn't being targeted?

Thank you for your help!

Best,

Ashley  

3 Replies 3
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

If it's just an inquiry, you can decline and move on. Even a well-intentioned but security obsessed guest could be annoying; its a difficult area to ressure someone around (even in my very safe town, I can't guarantee nothing will ever happen!).

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ashley127 if you do not feel comfortable with the person, you do not need to accept the stay. As @Allison2 mentioned that security-obsessed guest can be annoying.  One time, I was hosting a new airbnb user, so she did not know how airbnb works and somehow have different expectations than what she read on my listing. When she arrived, she asked whether the area is safe and I said yes it is safe (if it is not, then I do not want to live in the area, duh...). However, she left after 1 night and lied to me about what happened, left me a false review and said that she did not feel safe... not sure what really happened, it feels like it was all in her head because nothing happened during her stay and the neighborhood is a quiet and safe residential area. So, it was not worth my work and effort to host her.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

And be sure to always keep all communication on the airbnb message system so that if anything happens the company can see the message thread. 

And also, at this point, since you have a weird feeling, my advice would be to decline the booking (if it hasn't been made already).  Not good to start a visit with an uncomfortable feeling.