Security deposits at check-in

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Security deposits at check-in

I'm trying to establish a more professional check-in procedure.

I'm thinking of initiating a check-in procedure similar to any hotel where you stay where a security scan of a credit card is be taken at check-in and at the same time an identification validation.

Can anybody see any problem with this and does any other host already do it?

2 Replies 2
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  a number of guests would object and then you get a negative review.

UK guests only have to give a name, overseas guests ID is required.

Scanning a credit/debit card for the purpose of taking a deposit or any sort of payment is against the airbnb terms of service and would also involve you in the data protection act.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/458/can-a-security-deposit-be-collected-outside-of-the-airbnb-...

https://www.visitbritain.org/business-advice/registration-and-data-protection

@Jeff158 wrote:

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  a number of guests would object and then you get a negative review.

If the only way to do it is via Airbnb, then that could be workable but less efective. The payment would be meant as a personal contract and more intended as a deterrant. Credit Card data isn't stored I thought? I thought the data is held by the credit card processing company to enable chargebacks, bar bills and the like with no payment taken unless neccesary?

I can't access the Airbnb site for some reason. Even for my hosting I need to access via mobile app or another computer. My Mac (this one) doesn't access the main site, hosting or help... community works ok. I'll check that later.

But, visit Britain states: 

• All serviced and self-catering accommodation premises must keep a record of all guests over the age of 16. The record should include their full name and nationality.

Guests will hate that - yet its a regulation. Thats a win for a check-in procedure. Do you do this or does AirBnb do this in the UK do you know?

I sometimes see that with groups if there are multiple AiBnb guests their profiles are listed.