Self Check-in not possible - why isn't flexibility recognised

Janet394
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Self Check-in not possible - why isn't flexibility recognised

I would love to be able to add a self check-in option, but this is really not an option where I live.  I live in South Africa, where the crime rate is higher than most countries, and in a suburb where opportunistic crime is frequent. 

We have motorised driveway gates to access the premises, and these are operated by a remote controller.  It is not possible to put the remote into a lock box on the outside of our property, as the entire box will likely be pulled off the wall and stolen.

I ensure that each and every guest is greeted personally.  Check-in times are flexible, and I always ensure that I am at home at least an hour before the guest is due to arrive, in case they do arrive early.  If guests are more than an hour later than the check-in time, I phone to ensure that they are safe, and haven't got lost.  Guests are always welcome to change their arrival time, even at the last moment.

We've had guests arrive as early as 08h00, and as late as 22h30, and all are greeted with a smile, and are handed a set of keys and a remote.  After that they can come and go as they please.  I just make sure that I am also there for check-out so I can retrieve the keys - again, this is very flexible.

I would love to be listed on the Work Collection, and I comply with all items, except for self check-in.  Why can't flexibility and high check-in ratings be considered and recognised.

2 Replies 2
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I feel your pain. I'm too worried about people ignoring my directions and getting lost to do self check-in. Google Maps is completely inaccurate; it doesn't even match the road signs.

It's great that you're so flexible. It sounds like you cater really well to where you live.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Janet394

Over the past year there have been a number of  posts similar to yours requesting information on electronic secure entry systems and, you sound as though you are prepared to adopt a system that guests can access to open your security driveway gates on arrival.

The last post was less than 3 weeks ago and there may be some information in this link that can help you.

The protocol is, on the day of arrival an electronic access bar code is sent to the guests mobile phone, and the guest holds it to the bar code reader on arrival and it will not only activate the security driveway gates, it will also access the property. 

Have a look at this link Janet and it may be worth a call to one of the suppliers to see if their product can be adapted to your security situation.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Electronic-Door-Locks-that-Work-with-your-Phone/td-p/779...

All the best Janet.

Cheers......Rob