Single use shampoos and how many to provide

Manuel621
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Single use shampoos and how many to provide

Hi, 

I am new to hosting and trying to work out what suits me best when it comes to providing shampoo and conditioner. If i state that i offer shampoo and conditioner and i provide single use (travel size) do i then need to provide one per person per day? or just have one travel size for the entire stay?

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt585 Oh, I'm no angel myself- it's really hard to get away from plastics, because so many things are packaged that way. There's some places in the world where it's not that hard to find alternatives if you seek them out, others, not so much.

I was leery to use glass or pottery pump bottles because my place has tile floors and concrete countertops, so I could foresee them gettting easily broken. I just happened on some aluminum pump containers painted in cool colors in a dollar store. But when I went back looking for more, there weren't any 😞

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

And in a small deviation, I used to have small plastic bags lining bathroom bin. I now have a small paper bag, like a lunch bag. That's maybe 300 plastic bags a year I don't have to throw out. It is the small accumulation that matters, as in tiny tiny bottles multiplied by a million listings multiplied by a lot of guest nights.

I don't line the bathroom bin at home, just at the accommodation.

@Sandra126 I do the same, or use leftover plastic bread bags or random plastic bags that my guests leave behind for the bathroom bin. And the main garbage bin (more of a pail) is lined with old newspaper, or spare paper carry bags. Most of my guests are pretty cool with it & are happy to leave me their paper & plastic bags. Getting some of them used to my compost bin is a bit of a challenge I've found.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Manuel621

Start as you mean to go on: buy nice shower gel and handwash - then top these up with the same product (buy bulk in sales etc) so that each guest feels like it's a new bottle opened for them. Even if they ask, which some have done, we explain that single use plastics are out of bounds in our home - they like that. 

I'm getting to the point where I would mark down a hotel or similar if they had individual travel size products in their bathrooms.

Last time I was in New York hotel, which I loved, it was so modern and fancy they also had shower gel and shampoo in big (let size normal shower gel bottle) size. Of course that were nicely designed bottles installed in the bathroom and smelled awesome. I think it was produced specially for this hotel. So even in hotels small size bottles are not necessary and I loved it much more.

When I'm in hotel as a guest I find these small size containers not really practical to use. They are usually small bottles without a pump that you have to turn upside down to get anything. Also these are small quantities, so if you want to take a nice bath with bubbles, how many of them you have to use? I think buying nice looking containers which you can clean after each guest and refill is a good idea.