Smart lock with auto-generated codes emailed to guests and expire at check-out

Smart lock with auto-generated codes emailed to guests and expire at check-out

Hi Fellow Hosts,

I only see really 2 main systems that will fully integrate with AirBNB that auto-generate guest unlock codes which expire at checkout. 

Are there other good ones other than August and Lockstate? These both have very sketchy reviews overall and don't sound like great options.

I have two units in a motel and lots of turnovers. (I can connect to the internet via the buildings' public wifi.)

Ideally, I'd like:

-auto-generated codes that expire at checkout

-no monthly subscription cost

-not require my guests to download any app

-keeps log

-allows me to setup codes for housekeeper, maintenance, etc. without being physically present

- Remote administration: I don't live local to the units and don't want co-host to have to deal with this

Thanks so much for any recommendations. I need to switch out my Ultraloq UL1-BT's asap. 

Christine

5 Replies 5
Eryn6
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

I'd say your best solution is a smart home automation software like Rabbu (https://rabbu.com/). It does everything you are looking for. There is, of course, a monthly cost involved, but I think all the benefits of having access automated as a remote host really outweigh the cost.

Hi Christine,

What path did you end up taking?  I'm in a similar situation and I always enjoy hearing about other's successes (or failures)

Michele821
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

We got the Yale Assure Lock (comes with the Connect wi-fi bridge --no hub needed). It works well and checks all of those items on your list. You can also lock/unlock it remotely.

The auto generated message and code that gets sent to the guests go through August Home so I think they make the connect bridge that comes with the lock. I like that the code is automatically sent to guests, but I don't like the wording of the message (it puts a random message about not sending the address of the rental for 24 days). Since the message looks like it comes from my Airbnb profile, I wish I could change the wording as well as when it gets sent out (it's sent as soon as a reservation is confirmed). I've reached out to both Yale and August Home to see if there's a way to change that message. We'll see what happens on that front, but overall, it's a good lock so far and Yale has a great reputation.

Hi @Michele821 did you end up getting a respone from august/yale.

Thanks Ryan

Michele821
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I did and it was lame... they said there's no way to customize the message. So I un-linked the lock from my property and just program the codes myself (I can still choose the code as well as the dates for it to be active /expire, it just takes a few extra minutes-which I don't mind). So... that's a tech fail, I believe that the user should  should be able to customize that message (especially since it looks like it's coming from my account and not from Yale/August), but I still like the Yale lock and the Yale app (haven't used the August Home app so I can't speak to that one).