Smart pricing activated by itself

David-Erik0
Level 6
Berlin, DE

Smart pricing activated by itself

Hello, 

this morning I've logged my account and I've found absurd prices on all my calendar days (around 43) turned out that smart pricing was active for every single day. The only problem is that I do not use smart pricing since I've started to host... In the main settings of my account, is active but when I open the days of my calendar, I manually change it for every single day. 

Anyone else experienced this?

76 Replies 76
Joanna355
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You could always take this to Edinburgh Evening News and see what happens: given that multiple hosts were affected, it’s for festival dates and Airbnb already gets a lot of heat in Edinburgh. Their response in your case is woeful. If haven’t already you should open a support case with your email asking for the compensation offered though. 

Joanna355
Level 2

Although knowing EEN they might take the angle “Greedy property owners in Edinburgh that gouge tourists during the festival, destroyed our first homeowners market and have gutted our capital get their just desserts’ 😂😂

Than you for that @Joanna355  I needed a laugh !!!!

Look what happened this morning!!!!

Hi Jude,

I'm a reporter from the Edinburgh Evening News - I've seen the posts about the smart pricing glitch and was wondering if you would be happy to speak to me about it for a story? Seems like quite a few people missed out on a lot of money through AirBnB's failings. Do let me know, Conor.

Joanna355
Level 2

@Joanna355 wrote:

I’ve received an email but it’s really generic. Would post it here but can’t on the app. I sent a screenshot of it to the chat with the support person (who denied there was an issue and tried to say I had been misled about smart pricing) and no response yet, when the messages were coming promptly yesterday. Frustrating.

Always the same problem, AirBnB customer supports do not receive daily updates from AirBnB itself and often is not updated neither with its own policies and procedures.

@Susan17

Again, Susan, you've made me proud to be Irish, your comment is clear precise and to the point and cut to the bone Airbnb’s BS.

Joanna355
Level 2

Yes this happened to me and it cost me £230 in lost income. Airbnb support first denied there was an issue, then said the smart pricing wasn’t working and told me I shouldn’t be setting prices on the app. 

@Joanna355 wrote:

[...]Airbnb support first denied there was an issue, then said the smart pricing wasn’t working and told me I shouldn’t be setting prices on the app. [...]

This is probably the main problem of AirBnB Support, you can't get consistency in their answers.

Everytime you call AirBnB there's always the risk to have the perception of talking with a different company every time, and the bottom line is when you have to fight to get your rights, the same ones granted to you by AirBnB T&C.

Joanna355
Level 2

I will be very noisy and difficult about this, so it’s in their best interests to listen 🙂 I’m completely fair: I don’t want compensation for the lost earnings because there was no guarantee of that booking at my actual price: just the opportunity to get the prices I set. Best of luck to you too 

I had two bookings for less than my minimum price. Airbnb send me ridiculous childish responses, I’m not reaching out, I’m asking them to take responsibility. They are happy to take 13% but when things go wrong hide behind the platform like they are my friend. I do not see why the guest should suffer. This is not acting with transparency or in the guests interests. Jokers. 

@Henry244 wrote:

I had two bookings for less than my minimum price. Airbnb send me ridiculous childish responses, I’m not reaching out, I’m asking them to take responsibility. They are happy to take 13% but when things go wrong hide behind the platform like they are my friend. I do not see why the guest should suffer. This is not acting with transparency or in the guests interests. Jokers. 

Well the guests it's not suffering, technically and legally they are fine with the price they paid. Nothing more than that can be ask to them, nor from host side nor from AirBnB side, the problem can only be dealed between AirBnB and hosts.

I'm not surprised that they are not willing to pay in full for the damage caused. There are many details of AirBnB that are not fair/transparent/coherent in regards of hosts, from ratings that in the T&C are described as possibly not objective and yet used by AirBnB to evaluate your performance, to reassuring phrases about how it is perfectly understandable if you want to decline a booking request if you feel uncomfortable, but then whenever you decline for this reason, it is calculated to determine the basic requirements. 

Everything in the platform is structured in a way that or AirBnB find a way to soft punish you to exercise a freedom granted by AirBnB itself, or they try to leverage your sense of guilt or trigger fear with messages via email about your performance and consequences about it, or when you try to change something in your settings such deactivate the instant booking, that for them instead is a disadvantage. 

Another example is the fact that for whatever reason, a host is always guilty until something different happens.
So you call them saying that you have for example this problem with smart pricing, but they say it's you messing up with the settings and in my opinion this is a directive that support has received, because I've worked in the area and a good customer support policy is the opposite: believe in the customer until you can't prove the opposite.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@David-Erik0 I got an email from Airbnb yesterday with the subject "Check your prices: Smart Pricing glitch."  They went on to say:  "Due to a glitch during our regular update of Smart Pricing that began on May 23rd and was resolved on May 25th, some of your manually set prices were inadvertently altered by our Smart Pricing suggestions."

@Ann72 and did you call them to know if also in your case they were not will to pay the full loss?

Airbnb
Official Account

Update: thank you again for your patience. Our team has been working around the clock to resolve the issue and make sure that we contact and fairly compensate all affected hosts. We have sent out emails to all hosts who may have received bookings at prices they did not set. We will be sending a follow up email by the end of the week with more specific information about affected bookings and compensation for these nights.

@Emily352@Emiel1@Henry244@Joanna355@Ann72@David-Erik0@Jude56@Joanna355@Cormac0@Jessica-and-Henry0@Petar16, @Michelle1362, @Sarah977, @Susan17@Simon703@Lindsay214,  @Lisa1889@Vice4Jessica & Henry1,  Branka & Silvia1,