Strange looking potential guest

Stefan367
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Strange looking potential guest

Hi there,  

We are new to the hosting side altough have staied at several places in several different countries.

We have an instant booking from a guest who looks a bit weird in his photo,  has only one review in 3 years, which is positive and as a guest, but we are still not sure we are comfortable having him in our place.

Can anyone suggest something?  shall we restrain is we are not 100% sure?

Many thanks!

17 Replies 17
Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Weird how?

Well , there is has a ver y dry and intense look in his face. Another strange thing is that he is travelling with another person ( no more information on that side) and is comivng over Christmas time. I guess is not ony the pfoto but the entire thing.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Weird how, @Stefan367? Some users just try to be a bit artsy and are nothing to worry about. Since you are asking, it must be fairly serious, though. You could ask the guest about the photo and whatever is in it that is bothering you. He might even change it, having not realized it is off-putting. If you feel threatened by whatever it is, you could call Airbnb and get their advice. They might agree with your take on it. I would say the good review says more than a photo - perfectly respectable-looking profiles have turned out to be unpleasant guests, and the "gorilla mask" I hosted was a lovely fellow. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice Lawrence

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Stefan367 I have had plenty of instant bookings where the guests profile pic looked a bit strange and I wondered what on earth the guest would be like to host!

I tend to communicate as much as possible with guests I might have a bit of a reservation about before they arrive to get a good gauge on them, and it turns out the ones with strange profile pics, or even no pic at all often turn-out to be great guests. (not that I sugguest you go against your gut instinct, just be wary of other factors at play too)

The positive review your guest has is good, maybe you can have a chat and see how you feel- I certainly am a lot more relaxed about guests coming to stay and being a good fit as time has gone on and I have found my hosting feet.

Thanks for that Paul, really reassuring

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

If people set up their account with a Facebook log in, the airbnb wbsite takes pictures from that account, sometimes the first one, sometimes a dozen. Most new guests don’t even realse it, till you ask them if it’s deliberate.

I ask, if there are kids, more or less undressed persons or things that seem offensive. If it’s an error, they change it and are glad to be told, especially if the picture should be a private one. 

Some people do it deliberately. I had a cartoon character once, stretching her bottom to the viewer. The guest was herself a host, with this picture! I said I think this picture is either an insult or an erotic invitation and I won’t host her if she did not change it. She was offended, said the picture came from a children’s book. 

I don’t think she paid the copyright fee to use it...

I did not host her,  airbnb cancelled the Instant Booking, but did not care if she used it as a host.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stefan367 I recently hosted a first-time guest who didn't realize when she requested to book that her second profile photo was topless. I assumed she didn't realize it, and that was correct-- she was mortified and grateful when I asked her about it.  She had recently been treated for breast cancer and had the photo on her phone and Airbnb somehow picked it up. I wouldn't assume much if anything based on a photo.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stefan367 some might say your own profile photo is a bit weird. 🙂 

@Lisa723 I second that. Funny, I've seen posts on here from hosts who are disturbed that the guest doesn't have a clear face photo, but the host who's complaining has a profile photo of a landscape.

Stefan367
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

haha indeed you're right
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

You can't judge a book by the cover......

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I decide this way -  Is their cash pretty?

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I've seen a few humdingers when it comes to profile photos.  weird ones, funny ones, pics of cats, extreme close up of their nose, you name it.  A couple were a little odd/creepy, but so far none have been a problem in person.  I have seen a few from europe that booked and they were straight up bizarre.  Man with a mickey mouse hat on that said "Funk" where they stitch the name and what looked like a condom stretched over the lower part of his face and neck...like a condom turtleneck...I kid you not.  Turned out to be a cool guy.