Strict Cancellation Policy and Guest Refund

Joshua5
Level 2
Charlotte, VT

Strict Cancellation Policy and Guest Refund

Folks,

I have a strict cancellation policy on my property. Recently had a guest book for a one week stay and about one month after they booked and  one month before their stay they cancelled because they are buying a house and the closing is during the time of their stay. I'm sympathetic and wish to be reasonable, but their reason for cancellation does not fall within the 'extenuating cisrcumstances' listed by AirBNB. Would be interested to hear what other hosts have done in situations like this or any guidance on what others hosts would do. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 

Best regards

5 Replies 5
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

They'd still need somewhere to stay unless they are setting up their house in one day and all utilities are turned on as soon as they move in.

In all fairness, they cancelled a month before arriving allowing you a whole month to rebook. Yes, it sucks, but if AirBnB sided with them already, what honestly can you do? Its not as if they found a cheaper place.

Either way according to the strict policy they should be refunded 50% of their booking and any cleaning fees. Are you stating they received a 100% refund?

Thanks Zacharias. They've been refunded the 50% but are looking for 100% refund. To clarify my house is out of town for them, so this was a planned vacation they are cancelling. Yes I have a month to re-rent but no guarantee of it. 

Thanks Zacharias. They've been refunded the 50% but are looking for 100% refund. To clarify my house is out of town for them, so this was a planned vacation they are cancelling. Yes I have a month to re-rent but no guarantee of it. AirBNB has not sided with them yet as this hasn't gone to resolution center. AirBNB said that according to the policy, they receive a 50% refund, so the question really is do I make an exception to the policy and refund them more than 50%?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joshua5  Some hosts with strict cancellation will offer to refund the additional 50% if they are able to book the space.  I am in an area in which booking care occur a year in advance because of big music festival.  So I got a cancellation and offered to refund the remaining 50% if I could book the space.  Of course I was able to book another party but I could not actually send the refund until I was paid for the first booking.  Then I went to the first booking reservation and selected "send or request money" and followed the prompts.

@Linda108 Thanks for your insights. That's actually what I had in mind - refund them the balance if I rent it out over those days. I want to be fair and reasonable. Don't want to take advantage of anyone and don't want to be taken advantage of....