Stupid computers

Jane544
Level 1
Dunnellon, FL

Stupid computers

I Just got home after an overseas trip and Airbnb computer reactivated my listing that were snoozing. No problem with that. I reactivated my internet service upon my return and expected to start getting bookings again. The internet, via a satellite receiver seems to be slow and is not a fault of mine. Guests apparently made inquiries to which I could not reply as I did not get the emails. When I woke this morning. I received emails saying I had cancalled these bookings already! I did not as I had not even received them! Then the stupid Airbnb computer tells me there is a $50 or $100 fee for these cancellations! All hosts need to stop Airbnb from these outrageous practices. It is unethical to say trhe least. Absolute robbery. If charged these outrageous fees a class action suit may be necessary.

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Jane544 ,

These penalties will arise if you cancel reservations, it is explained here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

So if you did not cancel them (there are also no cancellation messages in your profile) , maybe contact Airbnb to resolve the problem.

Best regards, Emiel

Thank you Emiel. I did phone Airbnb and was told the guest had cancelled a booking for overnight on the 25th made at 20:42, and had called or contacted airbnb at 01:26 to cancel it after midnight so technically the next day. SInce I did not get the email until the next morning so did not answer promptly they wanted th fine me but said they waived the fine. It just seems wrong when the internet is not always reliable everywhere in the world. To me it seems Airbnb is avaricious and greedy not in the spirit of good global relations. I sent them the following message in the hopes that they may re-think their company policy.

"Two separate guest parties made inquiries to book beds in my home yesterday, 2018 03 25 and these guests expected to arrive within hours of making these requests. Neither party instant booked. I was home, had the internet on and would have responded immediately had the emails come through promptly as usually happens. But for unknown reasons these emails from Airbnb did not arrive in my inbox before I went to sleep for the night. No guests arrived at the door last night as I would have expected when guests instant book.

This morning I got the messages via email when I looked on my computer while having my morning cup of tea. I was shocked to read Airbnb's email that two bookings had been cancelled before the inquiries that had just come in by email and to learn that I was to be penalized up to $100 USD for each for cancelling the reservations withing 24 hours of the accepted bookings. I did not get the inquiries, did not respond and did not cancell or accept either as there was no email from Airbnb

As soon as I saw the emails I responded to the two parties and a third guest to explain that I had just received their inquiries for the night before. I did not get the emails nor accept or decline the inquiries. I did responded within 24 hours but not in time to host these guests. Had they instant booked I was home and could have met them at the door.

Globally it is a common practice for travelers to inquire at several listings and confirm the first host that responds. That is why I never fail to respond as soon as I receive an inquiry or instant booking.

Something has to be done at Airbnb with their computer programming. No one around-the-world can have speedy, reliable and un-interupted internet coverage all the time. As travelers the Airbnb staff and chief host, Brian, must know this. Please do something to avoid penalizing unresponsive hosts when they can not respond in a timely manner because the internet is intermittent, slow or unreliable.

One suggestion might be to never penalize any host or guest when an inquiry is not responded to for any booking made within 24 hours. I have met many hosts globally who rely on generators and satellite radio receivers and transmitters to communicate with potential guests. When the satellite passes overhead only once a day or there is damage to an underseas cable it is not the fault of a host or guest. I receive Internet via a satellite receiver I own on my rooftop. During a storm, bad weather or solar flares The internet may not be available.

Is Airbnb so desperate, money gouging and avaricious as to continue this practice when neither hosts nor guests are at fault? No wonder many hosts are also on Hostelworld, Bookings.com and other global hosting sites.

I realize Airbnb is busy so do not expect a personal reply. However, as I writer I have the right to write, voice my concerns and publish my work. Please look into this Airbnb policy and become a more responsible and considerate organization.

Thanks to Airbnb's representative Josiah in Colorado for answering my phone complaint this morning. Hopefully the powers-that-be at Airbnb will address this glitch in their computer system.

Former superhost, Jane Weber, Florida"

Jane
Today at 12:47 PM
I did get a reply from two agents but hope the top Airbnb people read and realize there are improvements needed. Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are all in this together. Savor every moment. Jane Weber, writer, Florida