Surprise, surprise

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Surprise, surprise

So apparently verifying our listings is going to cost us $. That is, if we don't want to end up on the bottom of the pile.https://skift.com/2019/11/15/airbnb-hosts-will-be-able-to-pay-to-fast-track-verification-of-their-li...

38 Replies 38

@Mark116Wasn't @Lizzie going to look into what happened with that call? Did you not get any follow up at all?

@Jennifer1421   Nope none.  I did say on here that it was fine that the call didn't happen as I have repeatedly given my opinion on steps that should be taken, etc.  But I did at least think I would get some kind of apology from the VP's assistant/staffer.....  It's typical though, isn't it?  How many millions of times has airbnb told people they'd call right back, call in 24 hours, you'll get an email in 24 hours and it never happens...so it's appropriate to know that the lack of basic professionalism comes from the top.

What, like this?

Jennifer10:46 AM
Thank you for spending your time on this XXXX.

As I'm sure you are aware, I have been hoping to follow the TOS, but it is difficult to do so when terms are undefined, and remain so in spite of my attempts to receive clarification.

What is the service address for your legal department, please?
Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support10:55 AM
Jennifer,

I am looking for it. Here is a link to some more information.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/250/

JUNE 24, 2019 (4 days later)
󱜄
This support case is closed. Still need help? Visit our Help Center. https://www.airbnb.com/help

"Let them eat cake!" @Mark116 

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Thanks for sharing, @Sarah977 ,

I personally don't see how paying will solve the issue, as anyone can pay an amount of money. It wouldn't - in my mind - "verify" anything other than the person's willingness to pay X amount of money to either continue with honest hosting or to continue fraudulent behaviour. 

And the party house wasn't the host's error, it was the guests who rented a house saying it was for their family and friends, then using it for a party. Will Airbnb also start validating guests through payments, or what's the plan? 

We're all hosted guests who turned out to not be who we thought they presented themselves to be, or invited additional people or in other ways mirepresented their usage of our house.  How will guests be verified, especially since we don't see last name or picture before we agree to host them? 

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

It is the Airbnb reputation (and value) that is tarnished by scandalous house parties; guest  scams,  identity frauds and hollowed communites etc. So make no mistake, Airbnb have a huge reputational interest in Trust. 

Host verification's and non discriminatory tools have their part to play and i have no issue adopting them.

Guests are verified, insurances are in place and we use the review system. But that will not stop a determined scam or remove risks.  So, the problem (and its anecdotal) is the guest-centric policies that do not protect hosts from scams. Airbnb need to step up and show that they are protecting hosts. Show us the evidence that hosts are protected, insurances are paid and our income is prioritized. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sarah977 @Rebecca181 

So, the 10 day sprint, did I miss the announcement?  LMAO.

@Mark116  Seems like 10 days means different things to different people. I always thought it was a universal calendar count that everyone understood, but apparently not. Seems to be extremely mutable.

@Sarah977   Even by the most generous calendar--where only week days are counted--the 10 days have come and gone.  Even if I go one step further and spot them Veterans Day....they still didn't make it.