Switch turned on. I can be mean again!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Switch turned on. I can be mean again!

Today, guests asked to leave early. I said "Sure, just make sure you change your reservation"

I accepted their change and refund. 5 minutes later, I got a new reservation for tonight at a much higher rate!

Summer high season is here, baby.

I have been fending off month -long reservations for May and June. Prospective guests want a discount on current prices that they exptrapolote to the busy season. They seem to be unaware that rates increase greatly in summer and their request for a discount on a low rate does not  impress me.

From depression to mania  instantly- I must check my meds.

21 Replies 21
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Paul154 Your meds seem to be working a treat.  Where can I get them?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hahahaha @Paul154  you ride that wave!!

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Paul154 ,

awesome work dude!! 

It is dreadful but at the same time comforting to see hosts all around the globe have to deal with the tight wad bargin hunters.

The best enquiry I have processed was: "Hello sir. I am seeing you have discount your normal price. If I am booking 1 night please may I be having some discount and what free things are being included?"

🤣😭😭🤣😭🙈🙉🙊🙌🏼👍🏼

@Brett3 Here's my recent favorite - for the 4th of July weekend!

"Hi Ann, I love this place. We are a party of 10 and looking at 3 nights stay starting from July 4th. I have a budget of $ (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) which is significantly lower than your price. Thanks."

Me:  "Hi Murali, I’m so happy you found the house but so sorry it doesn’t work with your budget."

Not long after we listed our place we had someone that wanted to book for 10 days requesting for us to lower our already too low rate by more than half...uh, no, sorry.  By this point we were already learning what kind of guests rock bottom rates get you and have sinced raised ours.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

With regard to @Paul154 :

I’ll have what he’s having!

Lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mary703
Level 6
San Jose, CA

Paul, good for you! You have great listings.

Here is the math I would use for your bargain hunters: "My spring rate is $58 a night, and my summer rate is $80 a night starting June 1. However, if you book at least a week I can give you a Early Bird Special Offer of $75 a night". I like using the Special Offer tool because then they can easily go back to your listing after finding all of the places that cost $90 and $100 per night, and realize that you gave them a really good price.  : )

Dallas9
Level 3
Murphy, NC

And I am starting to get the one night passer byers.....inquiries if i will do one night rentals, 'just this one time exception."  and then the ones that make rental enquiries, but then never respond after you answer them,or don't cancel thier request, leaving you with a rental request hanging out there...

Rita10
Level 3
Sunshine Coast, Australia

I have some who want to book, block out the dates then they don't complete the booking.  I don't allow block out now.  Learnt that one after the first issue.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I had the same issue in the beginning @Rita10 - then I picked up that people shop around and send multiple enquiries, especially for a last minute booking.

I'm new on here. How do you unallow them to block out dates?

@Barbara1498  If a guest sends an Inquiry mesage, the dates remain open. If they send a Booking Request, the dates are automatically blocked, you can't do anything about that.

What some hosts are talking about is that they've manually blocked the dates for an Inquiry, assuming the guest will book. But many guests don't ever follow through on a booking, and don't even bother to respond to your message, even to thank you for your time, so it's not wise to block out dates for an Inquiry.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barbara

Barbara, when an inquiry comes to you it will come with three options.

1/.....Neither pre-approve or decline the inquiry and you can just answer their question via the message stream.

2/...... You can decline their inquiry and give them a reason if you wish.

3/......You can grant a Pre-approval for the dates the guest has requested. Now once you grant a pre approval you are offered the opportunity to block the dates the inquiry has requested for 24 hours. This screenshot shows the block box.

Block dates.png

This means that only the user who has inquired will have the opportunity to proceed to a reservation. This is not automatic and you have to manually check that box if you want your calendar to be blocked to other bookings.

I hope this answers your question Barbara.

Cheers......Rob