THANK YOU Airbnb

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

THANK YOU Airbnb

Like a lot of hosts, on occasion I bitch and moan about Airbnb. I sometimes feel unsupported and frustrated by you.

However, I thought I would take a moment to thank you for getting it right 99% of the time. If you had not started your business, I would not have mine.

Many thanks team

32 Replies 32

@Asha12 "Airbnb favors the host more than anything." If you have a few moments just read one of the stories of the more ridiculous refunds guests have received via the infamous 'extenuating circumtances' escape clause. It should give you a whole different perspective.

The Airbnb host changed the fee, how exactly did he do that? Through a 'reservation change', in which you had to agree?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

People oftentimes do not appreciate what they have till they loose it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Fred, can I thank you for a wonderful and well crafted statement on Bird Island. There is something really special about taking something from nothing to a point where "you will be more in love when you leave than when you arrive".

Good on you mate, I would love to shake your hand.

On this thread though Fred, in almost 3 years here I have observed that those who brandish the biggest verbal stick are those with the most minimal hosting experience.

I learned my craft from some wonderful people here. Some are still here! I read the advice they so freely gave when I had a question, and I took everything offered onboard. I did my best to make sure I didn't make mistakes. And I think it has been because of this that my hosting career has been so kind to me.

I don't want to sue anyone, I don't want anyone else to be my personal dustpan!

We always want to bask in the glow of adulation when we get it right, but we want a 'scapecoat' when it goes wrong....we are so quick to blame others when something goes off the rails.

I am so thankfull to @Hugh0 for getting people thinking.....'Yeah, Airbnb have been good to me'.  But I think I would have liked you around when I started out Fred because, you have a determination to succeed that gives you a very nice perspective on what we do......host!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4, thank you for your very kind words. If I learned anything from your posts is that you have a very strong sense of 'fair play', I simply love that. As you can already surmise, I am a bit of a champion also for fairness, and why always harp on personal responsibility. I do sincerely believe it is the best way for individuals to make a contribution, which for some inexplicable reason since I was a kid, I have always thought we are suppose to do if we can. 

Hasan1
Level 2
Oakton, VA

I agree as well!! My favorite hosting website. They have perfected the formula so well and are so easy to deal with.

My compliments to Airbnb;

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Yes thank you to Airbnb 

Maria913
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

Agree Hugh.  Cheers from Canada.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Fred13@Hugh0 I too am most grateful to Airbnb for this platform - I'm 6 months in Hosting with  33 reviews - 2nd time Super Host and what a delight for me - having had a forced early retirement from Massage Therapy - coverted my massage spa building/behind our home into this charming cottage and everyone seems to totally dig it. When I have had needs/questions/ - I call or email and Airbnb is immediately on the phone or emails back quickly. Even had my first ever unpleasant but necessary claim with Resolution Center and it was a really important learning for me - I called, they were sympathatic and walked me through how to file and what to do - within 4-5 days all was done. I used LearnAirbnb to learn, understand and prepare before hosting and they were and are a truly awesome team ---- because I notice on the Community that the more we know about Airbnb the better our experience and business can be and is.  So grateful that there is sharing through CC Community Center - and thrilled to be a Super Host on Airbnb. Happy Hosting All, Clara B.

You are indeed a cool story Clara B. 

@Fred13@Yasmin2@Hugh0 I follow so much of what all of you write and how you deal with things. And since you commented on my post I am pretty sure you will find the attached blog post of interest. It was initally written as a thank you note to Learnairbnb and when Symon read it he asked me if he could post it on his blog. It is the true story of my journey which I haven't been able to post until now as I am so much better: I titled the note From PTSD to AIRBNB. I will try to attach the link and if it is blocked....LearnAirbnb  Blog titled it "From Tragedy to Superhost" 

https://learnairbnb.com/tragedy-superhost-airbnb-story/

Wanted to share how it all began - wishing you all a very Happy New Year! 

I always approach all people (i.e. guests) with the attitude that 'everyone has a story'; Clara what a story you do have. Fortunately, you have a humble manner that allows you to learn (and adapt), and you are appreciative; wonderful qualities that can be called upon to deal with any life situation.

@Fred13 Thanks Fred for your very kind words. Wishing you a wonderful New Year's Ending and awesome 2018! 

Yasmin2
Level 7
West Ballina, Australia

Clara

@Fred0@Hugh I totally agree,  there is lots to learn from each other's experiences as hosts. Airbnb has always been totally there for me with phone support. There is always more we can bring to being a better host/ being a better person and in turn, our guests return the same appreciation.

Self-care is important for host too, so that we don't burn out! our health is our wealth and we can enjoy sharing our home with our guests and to appreciate how strangers become friends...Humanity.  

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I would thank the Host Community for their advice and support over the years and Airbnb as well as a business.

@Lizzy0 for being so kind and helpfull 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

To be able to appreciate some things, it may help to first imagine what life would be without them. We are individuals in need of guests and here is a company (Airbnb) that exposes our spaces to multitudes at large for really a small fee thus far.  I wonder how else exactly could we as individuals could have done that working separately.