TO MUCH COMMUNICATION IS A BAD THING ?

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

TO MUCH COMMUNICATION IS A BAD THING ?

Hi Folks,

I used to think that lots of communication with guests was a good thing, however as my experience of hosting has increased I have found that the more questions asked equates to an increase in problems later or a complete waste of time because the guest doesn't book. We have had two enquires from potential guests in the last week that have proved the title of this thread might be true, both have asked numerous questions, received numerous positive replies but still haven't booked. I have come to the conclusion that there are people out there who have nothing better to do than ask questions on AIRBNB simply to feel needed. Maybe I am wrong but in my "red flag column" of indicators of bad guests I am going to add to much communication.

Regards Shaun.

31 Replies 31
Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Only yesterday I had an inquiry on our listing with regards to use of the washer and dryer.  Her question was would she be charged for use of these machines.  No charge, but guests must ASK to use the laundry facilities as they are in the locked garage, attached to but not accessible from the house.  Next her Aunt wants to know if we live on the premises.  No, we live right next door as stated in our description.  Her original iquiry showed it was for 1 person.  Why would a single person rent a 3 bedroom house?  I had to ask her how were many in the group.  She replies 6 or possible 7.  Well, our maximum occupancy is 6 which is clearly stated in our description.  We do not want anyone sleeping on the sofa, on air mattresses or such items.  Says she is still VERY interested in our place and would get back to me.  My husband and I discussed and decided to just block the dates she wanted rather than have to contend with a potential problem guest. 

Jill2
Level 8
Franklin, TN

When a potential guests asks too many questions andcontinually messeging me... I just KNOW they are going to be more trouble that it is worth.  I quickly go over to VRBO and block their requested dates.  Then message them and let them know their requested dates are no longer available.  LOL.  Thank goodness never had anyone say they will change the dates,  It has worked like a charm everytime.