Taxes - Listing on behalf of someone else

Todd3
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Taxes - Listing on behalf of someone else

Hi,

I recently listed (and rented) a place on behalf of my parents. How can I ensure that they receive the 1099 so that they can properly report this on their tax return (and not mine)? 

My guess is to make sure the payout goes to their bank/paypal account and fill out the W-9 with their details. 

Please let me know if that is correct.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

I agree that the tax ID needs to be that of one of your parents so they get the 1099K at the end of the year.  I'm not sure if Airbnb requires that the host name and tax id match.  You might contact Airbnb through  twitter @Airbnbhelp and they will connect you with a customer service rep who can guide you.  You can certainly set things up so the payouts go to their account, but I doubt if that's required.

Sorry to be of such limited help. Such an interesting question.  Would you be kind enough to let us know what you find out?

I have the same question as Todd - must the name on the Airbnb account match the name of the person who will receive the 1099 (listed on the taxpayer info form)?  Does anyone know?

Lucy83
Level 1
California, United States

Was this ever resolved? I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I'm doing the exact same thing as Todd, listing a place for my parents.

I would also Really like to know if this was resolved! im in the same situation 

does any body know or can help ? 

Christine3219
Level 2
Eatonville, WA

I am curious about this also. I am hosting for my parents and have their bank and tax info listed. However I am recently having issues with tax mismatch messages.