The difference between 4 and 5* in the new avg rating system

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The difference between 4 and 5* in the new avg rating system

Since Airbnb is moving from the 80% 5* to over 4.8 avg rating over a year, it might be time to think about how to explain the cliff between 5 and 4* the rating system imposes

Uber drivers have a number of ideas worth exploring - anyone have anything better for hosts ?

image.jpeg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/the-fault-in-five-stars?utm_term=.ysk65Pom5#.flqW92or9

16 Replies 16
Francisca16
Level 5
New York, NY

Sometimes, you do everything fine and still won't satisfy a guest. They would always find a reason to give you that 4Star.

Joel180
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

this is a pretty serious area of concern, and if someone has any good ideas I'd like to hear. the fact is someone's capricious rating or review can hurt my livelyhood and abiliity to provide for my family.  maybe thats the what guests need to know.  the review system is kind of broken, and has far greater reprecussions for hosts, then for guests. for hosts our livelyhood is on the line. for guests, their next vacation may need to be booked on another platform.   the star rating system is very weird. it seems the lower someone pays the more likely they are to give low marks for value. there seems to be aneed for communication to guests about the importance of 5 stars. I've never been quite comfortable with saying that, and I'm not sure if it would turn people off. any ideas? If you can give me the actual wording you use it would help give me inspiration. thanks