The non-communicative guest

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The non-communicative guest

Recently I have had a spate of guests who don't communicate much, including some reservation requests with no reviews that gave one or two word answers to questions. I don't bother my guests, but I do send a message to see if they checked in okay. When I hear crickets in response, it always gives me pause. 

How do you deal with guests who don't communicate? Or reservation requests with very little in the way of information? Any tips to draw people out a bit without seeming invasive?

3 Replies 3

@Laura2592  For the requests: one follow-up message containing the questions/concerns that you feel are important to establish trust and determine that the booking is a suitable fit. If you still don't get a satisfactory response, dodge that bullet and decline.

The guests' communication during the booking process is usually going to be consistent with their communication during the stay. But with a retreat-style property, I'd expect that some guests prefer to "unplug" a bit once they arrive and not have to deal with the host - so if all the information you need them to have is visibly printed in the property I'd say "no news is good news."

When guests don’t communicate I remind then in a kind, gentle way that Airbnb is a “Home Share Community”.  

It doesn’t matter if you the host  live on site or not they are guests in your home and need to be respectful.  

If they don’t like the lack of  anonymity they probably aren’t a good fit for this community and should be using the hotel system.  

It’s  flagrantly disrespectful to ignore a host who is opening their home to perfect strangers.  I think we are far to accommodating to rude, disrespectful guests.  It’s not worth the small amount of money we earn versus the risk and abuse  we often receive.  

Charmaine24
Level 2
Dubbo, Australia

We are an older couple who travel and also work away we inform incoming guests that we are away

Our intro states that "We are not always home as we travel. Take your time and enjoy the pictures n descriptions"

We have a self check in

We have Pictures to show space/s with a description attached to the pictures as well as in the guide

Also in Welcome note we inform them that we are away and give them the code to enter the space

When we are away there is always 2 others available and we are at the other end of the phone

If the guest is unable to communicate well I now have learnt to score them the same " communication poor" 

The guests can be in a rush and not read and ooo lordy lord they leave poor reviews because they have not read...example.....

"Accuracy                   2
Appeared to have a double bed and a bunk bed however the double bed is a click clack lounge . The bunk bed is a double bed and a bunk bed setup."

"Communication       2
As I said they were no where to be seen."

"Check-in                       2
No sign of the hosts at all during our stay."

This was from the 1 guest, I could of cried but was confused lol
so the double bed and bunk is not a double bed and bunk bed setup ???????
No sign of host because THEY ARE AWAY ................

These responses are hurtful and scoring poor because they didnt take the time to read and communicate