Time for a Spring / Autumn clean! Do you have a yearly clear out?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Time for a Spring / Autumn clean! Do you have a yearly clear out?

Spring clean.jpg

Hey there everyone,

It’s that time of the year when in some parts of the world, the seasons are beginning to change and this symbolises a good opportunity to have a good old clean out, spruce up, or complete reorganisation.

Here in the UK, many people are starting to think about their Spring clean. Unfortunately for me, those thoughts haven't translated into action just yet.

What about you, do you use this time of year to cleanse your home? Or do you tend to do this throughout the year?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

41 Replies 41
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Stephanie I clean through out the year. Bits and pieces , different rooms depending on how many guests I have. I just spent three days washing windows and curtains in the guest rooms  and painting the sala. Once I've recovered from that marathon I've got a list that never seems to get completed.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Beth80 

Cleaning is marathon in itself! I'm as impressed with your marathon running as I am with you keeping your place spick and span.

-----

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Stephanie 

No I don't need to spring clean our studio, because every time a guest checks out

it's lika a spring clean for me 😉

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Keeping on top of it probably is the best! Have you done any configurations or moving of furniture around to get the feng shui?

-----

I agree with Stephanie.

We have a few vacation rental clients who hire to turnover their Boston Airbnb. We also clean the unit regularly, and I add more time-consuming things like clean light fixtures, roll up the rugs to clean under them, clean top of the cabinets, behind furniture, is done on rotating basis, this way we never really need to spring cleaning. 

We have a checklist which we're happy to share. Just reach out to us at https://houseblisscleaning.com/vacation-rental-turnover/

Feel free to reach if you need any help with cleaning questions. Happy to help! 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Stephanie  if I could get through the door of my hoarders den... err... I mean garage... I'd certainly have an Autumn clean out 🙂

My only defence is that I'm an artist.  I have proven many times that one person's junk is another person's art.  For me... all junk is potential recycled art waiting to happen.  So yes, I have a 4 car garage I can't fit a car into 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sometimes I look in the shed that's so full of junk and think... 'it would be so much easier to let it burn...' Of course, my fiancee has hidden the matches.

Love a bit of upcycling, as they say. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Are you up for sharing some snaps of your art?

-----

@Stephanie 

One person's "junk" is another person's treasures...you may find some delights tucked away in there that you never thought of like that to use in your home, or pass on to the local charity shops..

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Stephanie , that’s true:) Spring is here and it is good time to get rid of winter! I’m in the process of washing carpets. And soon I’ll change textile decoration of the house for summer. In fact spring cleaning is fun! 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Glad your looking forward to it! Must be getting even warmer in Spain - last time I was there it was 34 degrees. Probably good for drying those carpets.

-----

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

No carpets, curtains or those horrid 'comforters' here, so it's a relatively easy job. However, our place does get painted once a year, and that was last month. Bring on the guests! 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Comforters end up on the floor, always. 

What would you recommend as the lower maintenance decor choices? 

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  as others have mentioned, when you host, it means you are constantly cleaning, so there's much less need for a 'spring clean'. I am also one of those people who struggles with doing quick cleans. I start out with that intention and end up scrubbing the skirting or cleaning the windows as well.

The one exception is my own bedroom, which is a total mess. It gets a very minimal clean compared to the guest rooms and it's so disorganised at the moment. I need to dedicate a day to sort it out, but never get a day off. I also need to reorganise my tools, paints etc. so I can fit them neatly in the understairs cupboard, which is also a total mess.

There are a few things to do with the change of seasons though. I usually put away the rugs and will attempt to deep clean them before I do. The bedding also gets switched for lighterweight stuff. However, it's too early to do either of those things as it's not warm enough yet.

The largest amount of work to do right now is in the garden. The signs of Spring are there: narcissi, hyacinths, muscari and more. There's so much planting and pruding and sowing of seeds to do but no time this month. I'm hoping I'll get some time and some glorious weather in April to get really stuck in.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

I spend more time in the gardens than in the house! Last year we built the rockery and it's gona absolutely doo-lally. I've raspberry plants that go doo-lally every year too, there must be at least 50 plants this year, all cut down to about a foot but sproating with gusto. 

The daffodils came through in February and are still going strong - they've come back 5 years on the trot. Tulips are on their way too. I love gardening!

-----