Trouble with a Co-Host?

Sahra-and-Zander0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Trouble with a Co-Host?

Has anyone had issues with their co-host? 

We've had the same guy, our former neighbor and friend, co-hosting our home in DC while we are on a temporary living in California Situation, for about a year. He's always been pretty sexist, but he's been rude to guests before. He ignores our requests, requested extra money, and goes months ignoring us and the house. (this has been going on for nearly a year, so I'm a little embarassed that we didn't fire him sooner). 

We recently sent him a formal email saying that we would be switching co-hosts mid-month. We were happy to pay him until the end of the hosting, and bought new cleaning supplies per his requests.

Since the formal email, 10 days ago, and our last large lump sum payment to him, he has gone MIA. Our current guests have mentioned he has not been around for a month; our trash has not been taken out, the bathroom has gotten moldy, and he appears to have stolen all the brand new cleaning supplies and other items from our home (the guests have told us). He has not answered my nor my husbands texts, emails, or calls and has yet to return our keys or our Ring doorbell charger.

I'm taking an emergency flight back this weekend, but is there anything we can do via AirBnB? He's a superhost who has let my listing fall below a 4.5 while stealing my customers, supplies, and money in the past year. Do I just need to contact the police when I arrive to go with me to get my keys and confront him about the theft? Is there anything we can do?? Is there anything AirBnB can do?

5 Replies 5
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi

Not happy with your co-host?

Dispense with his services......end of!

You are not married to him, you are not joined at the hip so why the delay?

we have removed him, but he has yet to respond to us, return our keys or other hardware, or our cleaning supplies he had taken from us. 

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi Sahra and Zandar: I doubt very much there is anything AirBnb can do since co hosting is a contract between you and your co host. However, You might want to touch base with AirBnB to see if they have some form of blocking this person from co hosting again.

Personally, if I felt uneasy about this person, I would contact the police and ask them to meet you when you attempt to retrieve your keys and any other property of yours he may have. They may or may not be able to help.

Good Luck, I hope things transition smoothly from this point.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

PS

And change your locks!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Sahra-and-Zander0   File a police report. You will probably need to go to the police station to do so. Forget the key he could had duplicates made that you are not aware of. Change all the locks asap. You're probably going to not get your money or supplies back, but filling the report will cause him issues if the dollar amount is high enough and you push the police to take it seriously. You may end up needing to contact a lawyer also.