“Unofficial” Airbnb Fun Club reviews

Ewa63
Level 1
Warsaw, Poland

“Unofficial” Airbnb Fun Club reviews

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if anyone have a similar experience with guests.

From the beginning.

I got a booking from a new airbnb member. This person just joined airbnb. No reviews, no details, nothing. She asked me if I will give some discount. I politely answered that it’s not possible due to high interest in my place etc. wishing her that she finds a nice spot for herself (plenty of options for all kind of budget here in Warsaw, Poland). In reply she explained to my that she saw pictures of my place on some airbnb fun club and she explains that my place was filthy, dusty and there were some negative comments about it so this is why she want a discount. She even send some links but they are not working.

As a super host doing this over 3 years I never had a bad review so I was very surprised. I contacted support team and they were also surprised by this message and those links that are not working. 

Please tell me if any of you heard about some “unofficial” airbnb fun club where guest can post pictures and comments the apartments without our knowledge?

This is totally bizarre for me.

Warm regards for all from Poland 🇵🇱 

11 Replies 11
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

It sounds to me like they were trying to scam you.  If the links didn't work, and Google searches come back with nothing...I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Some people are opportunistic and deceptive, unfortunately.  All the best!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Totally agree with @Danielle476 ,  Definitely a scam.

@Ewa63  It doesn't even make sense. If the guest genuinely thought your place was known to be filthy, why would she be trying to book it? 

@Anonymous Good point. I agree with the others as well--this sounds like a scam. 

@Ewa63 Just to mention it, Airbnb now has a filter--I say "now has" because it was presented to us as a new feature when we started to list earlier this month--that you can add before guests try to book with you in which you specify that they must have "Recommendations from other hosts." If you have Instant Booking turned on, then they can still send you a tentative booking request, but it is up to you whether or not to accept. 

We set that as a prerequisite for booking, along with specifying that guests must have a government ID, and we're really glad we did, because when our listing first appeared, we had a couple of dodgy-looking requests. One was from a young woman who said that she was planning on going with a group of friends to "have a good time" in our area. She had no Airbnb history, no government ID, and obviously, no recommendations from other hosts. So, we turned her down and don't regret that we did, despite it hurting our acceptance rate at the very beginning.

Anyway, it's good that you are aware that this sounds like a scammer. Thanks for mentioning it, and do think about what I've said here about adding some extra protective filters on if you are using Instant Booking. 

Good luck!

Kristýna1
Level 1
Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic

Hi, it happening to me too! I am so stressed because i am a superhost and i really care about my work! So its some kind of spam?

Dasa1
Level 1
Krasňany, Slovakia

I have same experience: no profile, no history only that she is joined in 2019. She wrote about sharecommunity.club where there are some bad reviews. Link doesn't work of course.

Thank you for your comments it looks like spam or scammer. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ewa63 @Dasa1 @Kristýna1 I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet but DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS. Internet safety 101. And needless to say, if your place was so bad, why would they want to rent it with all the airbnb options out there. You have your reviews. Those are the only verified comments about your place. Consumers would know that. If some negative comments on some odd site do not match your verified reviews on Airbnb, most will not fall for it. And those that do- you do not want them as guests anyway.

Yes! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Probably just trying to get you to click on some spam links @Ewa63 . I would ignore and report to Airbnb.

Veronique331
Level 1
Bitche, France

Hallo Ewa

i also had a similar problem. I got a message from a person in the apartment i had a month ago spent a night. She told me that she had read that i had broken a refrigerator at another host and that photos were visibles on the Fan Club. She gave me a link but it didn´t work. I contacted her again .I wanted her to give me the exact address of this Fan Club . She only replied that "Somebody broke to her account and he is pulling a joke. She will report this to airbnb.She´svery sorry for the unconviniance. "

I informed Airbnb