Unusual Request?

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Unusual Request?

Had an inquiry to book my house (entire listing) for a wedding weekend. The guest is planning to "have a few children babysat for the evening".....!!!! And, she is assuming that they are free since they are not staying the full night. Not sure how to respond to this one but my inclination is to decline the request.

15 Replies 15
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Monica4 Yep, that's a tricky one.  Sounds like all the children of the party goers are going to convene at your house and have a baby sitter.  I guess I would ask more questions about that...how many, how long, are they the children of your guests and how many will actually be staying over night, etc.   Get as many concrete details as you can, especially on the Airbnb message thread, and then use your best judgement.  

Well....they won't be booking. Although the guest now wrote that the children belong to the guests staying at the house and not all the children of the wedding guests, they don't want to pay for the children! I charge the extra person rate for all children that can walk. Airbnb may feel that we should allow children under three years of age to stay free, but I don't agree. Children are a lot more work to clean up after and have also done some damage in the past.

I hear you @Monica4! I think you dodged a bullet.  I don't want and won't allow children for the simple reason that parents don't monitor them and let them run wild...too much clean-up!

Clare,

first of all need to tell you smth about our profile we made. We have never let child to take care of our business if that was ever a problem.

We did ask him to put his mail because we didn't know how to make our own at that moment and it turned out that he had put his

name and data on this site. His name is after me, Franko, and after everything that happened last year with guy that took care of our business, Aljoša, I took classes for computer so I've seen now and changed all profile finally.

Sorry about problems we had.

Anyway, can you tell me is this profile now active on your site?

Everything ok?

Big greetings,

Frano Lekić

We had problems with contacting Aljoša, if you remember the problem... Is it solved now? Is that his profile still on or what?

Again, big greetings,

Frano Lekić

@Frano0 sorry for all the trouble you've had.  Unfortunately I cannot answer your question about whether Aljosa has a profile on Airbnb as I am only a host and do not have access to Airbnb's database.  If you have concerns about him, you might contact Airbnb and see if they can be of assistance. 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

When people complain about charging fees for children I remind them I am not a motel 6 giving away super saver deals and that yes children actually cause more mess and work than adults. I also provide a high chair and baby crib upon request and those items cost money to purchase and maintain and time to set up. I had one guest who arrived with children and complained when I "reminded" her that I charge for additional guests and that includes children. She said she was "appalled" and disgusted at the greed of charging for kids. I was so taken back that I timidly removed the additional fees and let it slide. What a mistake. Not only was she ungrateful and unappreciative but she was kind enough to leave her dirty diapers and the kids poop on the shower for my housekeeper to clean up! No I'm not kidding!

Oh @Aunt-Betty0, that's awful!! You know, its not the kids so much as the PARENTS!  I screen guests very, very carefully not to allow children especially now that Airbnb has inferred that toddlers and babies don't count as guests. Whoever made that policy obviously never had to clean up after them!

Just saw a tweet from a guest complaining to Airbnb that they are not family friendly when hosts insist on charging for babies /toddlers. Wild horses couldn't hold me back from replying!

When this guest complained about the extra charge, you should have removed the crib and high chair! Let them buy their own!

I agree children are more mess!  We recently had guests with one child of about 6 yrs of age for 3 nights and it took much longer to clean up.... There were crumbs, etc all over the place.  But I have to say the the parents weren't necessarily careful.  Instead of putting sheets on the futon, they just used blankets .... which meant that in addition to the regular sheets laundery, we now had to wash blankets.....! 

I charge an additional $20 per extra guest over 2 people, that way we don't get a lot of guests who want to use us as a crash pad /party place.

We've had really good luck so far, only one that I wish I'd made a bad review.... I didn't review her but she didn't review me either.  

We are considering making a HOUSE RULE that only signed in guests are allowed (children would be included with parents) since this is our home and we live here, I don't want people I don't know coming and going......  Most people don't abuse but every once in awhile you get a wingnut I suppose.  

Susan97
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

Wow!  The liability exposure you might have, particularly if the babysitter is under 18 too.  I agree with all of the other posts regarding children.  They are more work, with either little or no compensation.  We have been hosting for 5 years now and have regretted almost every small child that we have allowed to stay.  We love children, however, with our experience in property damage alone, we now charge full price (full nights lodging) for any additional guest over 2, and have VERY clear language in our profile that all children must be approved in advance.  Good luck!

Please can you let me know if there is some mail of Airbnb, so I can contact them by mail and not on phone?

This will work better than email. Any reason you prefer it? Do you want to exchange personal information? Use the contact form on their site. If it's related to a booking you simply follow the steps here:

https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions

Elle0
Level 2
Boynton Beach, FL

Monica i am very cautious when they mention to bring kids.

I normally explain that my house is not suitable for kids and decline bc u can be suit if something happens.

Diana-And-Don0
Level 7
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic

Over the years we found that children require more work and servicing than adults.  For any child over2  , we charge vistually the same price as adults.    Parents they are surprised that they have to pay should be more realistic and know better.