Vacation rentals

Vacation rentals

Does anyone host their vacation club weeks?

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Charles can you rephrase that question?

@Charles283, I think some people have done so. (Not me).

I would think the main risk would be guest cancellations; once you have fixed what timeshare/vacation week you have reserved, a guest cancellation would cause either an expensive waste or a mad scramble to not have an expensive waste.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Charles283 I do! I have one in Las Vegas at Tahiti Village. It’s worked fine for me, so far. I don’t have it consistently listed because it’s a royal PITA checking for available rooms on every inquiry. 

In Vegas terms, it’s a “push”. I get my service fee money back and get a few days in Vegas myself to enjoy but there’s no real money in it. At Tahiti Village you can cancel up to 30 days in advance with no charge. 

Good Luck

@Fred13 He talking about listing time share condo weeks as an offering. 

Chloe79
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hi @Rene-and-Zac0, do you list your getaways as well?  I have a timeshare but I am considering listing my getaways (vacation packages) on Airbnb.  I'm not sure of what issues I might run across.  Have you had any issues listing your timeshares or getaways on Airbnb?  Anything I should avoid or be aware of?

Thanks!

Chloe

Hi! @Chloe79 It is a ton of work. If you reserve say Feb 14,15 and then nobody wants it, you’re stuck. 

I ended up listing on Craig’s list and found a buyer but it was stressful. 

The check in at the resort has always gone smooth. I just add the guest name and they check in with a ID and credit card at the desk. The resort doesn’t charge a cleaning fee for the maid service so there’s potential to make a couple of extra bucks off a cleaning fee. 

Currently I don’t have mine active because like I stated, it’s a ton of work with the back and forth. Enough people know I have the place that they just DM me for dates of availability now.

When it comes time to pay the dues, I’ll make it active again.

Another point is as a new listing, they want you to have instant book on. That’s almost impossible, so your listing never gets seen. 

If you have entitlement you want to sell and you’re will to spend time doing it, I say “go for it”. 

On the level of “hustle’, it equals basically doing community service. There’s no big money in it.

If you break even, you’re doing good. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Marta447
Level 2
Whittier, CA

Hi @Rene & Zac.  Now with the changes to how a unit is listed, do you list your timeshare as an Apartment or as a Hotel.  If I choose Boutique hotels and more it only allows me to choose the Listing type as Private room.  It is private room but they actually have access to the Entire apartment.  Just need advice on how to list my timeshare since the Timeshare option is no longer available.

Thank you,

Jennifer2374
Level 2
Menifee, CA

Can you list a week in particular with Airbnb or does it need to be left open for the customer to choose?