Venting !

Cindy624
Level 2
Houston, TX

Venting !

Nightmare weekender.’ My Galveston home was rented for a mummy and daughter get away for a 9 year old. I am visiting the beach house and couldn’t sleep all night cause it wreaks of urine in the master bedroom even after my maid cleaned- come to find out the mattress is ruined 😞 And they left a pigs ear in my sofa and the sofa also wreaks of urine- thankfully that’s waterproof !

383869BD-0666-4B6D-B275-4D76E8FED2E8.jpeg

27CD0395-DC09-401B-ABD1-113E50714559.jpeg

D07E9D90-DB13-4C19-AE26-E07DE49A8EB4.jpeg

3EEE6ADE-9535-4E7A-AA14-878A7CA3D308.jpeg

19 Replies 19

I always look for dog food on the floor... A couple of guests several weeks ago, left they dog watering bowl on the floor. I was ging t giver her 1 star for lying but i totally forgot to review her.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cindy624 

I am struggling a bit with this!

I have had guests lose bladder control in the bed but, the mattress protector has always stopped anything reaching the mattress.

The only time this has happened to me is with a children's cot mattress

I think you need to buy a better quality mattress protector Cindy, I simply can't believe what your photos showed was what ended up on the mattress if it was protected....that is outrageous!

There is however a solution which I have learned from the children's mattress. Liberally sprinkle baking powder over the affected area and then dab with a good quality bio detergent and water mixture....This is the one I use when I do my regular wash..... 

No Sweat 1.png

Leave for 3-5 minutes and dab dry with a cloth or towel. You will find that the stain is no longer there but the mattress will feel damp. Bring back the baking soda to absorb anything that may be remaining, and then use a hair dryer to dry out the mattress then leave for 30 minutes, vacuum,  and you should be good to go, no smell and a bio-clean mattress.

I hope this helps Cindy!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4   You know, I might do that for myself, if someone I knew had an accident it was a mattress being used just for us/family, I'd give it a shot to mitigate it....but I think urine is so pungent that I would probably trash any airbnb mattress, as @Bruce-And-Patty0  said, you need only super hot summer night and someone smells urine coming out of the mattress to ruin things.  I know if that happened to me, and I smelled a urine smell from a mattress I would be really disgusted and out of there.

This is horrible!  I have the waterproof/dust mite proof covers on my mattresses (also on my pillows), but seeing your photos makes me want to put double the protection.  Unfortunately, I agree with other posters here.  You will never be able to get rid of the smell from the mattress, and future guests will give you bad reviews because of the smell.  I got foam mattresses with cooling gel relatively inexpensive from Overstock.com.  I wish you the best with this.  

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Mattress protectorsMattress protectors