Vivint door lock problems!

Carl64
Level 2
Coarsegold, CA

Vivint door lock problems!

We are superhoasts and have been part of the Vivint beta test.  Vivint has security cameras and door locks that can be controlled by your smart phone.  At first, it worked like a dream!  It would give a code to our gusts upon booking to allow them to enter the listing between their check in and check out time, in sync with AirBNB.  We have two listings on one account, a guest house and our master bedroom with private entrance.  I will call them listing A and listing B.  So, then, a few months ago, Vivint did an update and all of the sudden all of our listing A and listing B guests started getting the door lock code for listing A! YIKES!!!  Major security issue!  So now, if listing B guests arrive when we are not there to guide them, they have the code to get into listing A.  It's like a hotel giving your room key to another guest!  Can you imagine?!

So, of course we call Vivint customer servics.  They are a security company, of course they will understand that this is a breach of security right? WRONG!  It was the ultimate in living nightmares of costomer service.  Not only did we get kicked all around the cosotmer services and AirBNB team phone tree, but we had to explain the entire thing over and over.  It seemed many of the people on the other end did not understand the magnitude of the problem and they said nothing can be done about it.  In the end, after many days and several hours of trying to explain and get help, we were told they couldn't change it and we could not get out of our 5 YEAR CONTRACT!  Even though we explained that we are about to by a vacation home with three units and would have used Vivint on all three.   All of this to say, if you only plan on ever having one listing on an account, go ahead and use Vivint.  Otherwise, stay away like the plauge!

6 Replies 6
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Carl64, you write that you were, "Not only... kicked all around the cosotmer services and AirBNB team phone tree, but we had to explain the entire thing over and over."

Why were you talking with AirBnB at all?  Vivint is not even related to AirBnB.  

That they listened to your problem 'over and over' should only tell you that they were trying to understand and help. 

It was never their problem, nor their fault, and they can't fix it.

Your only complaint is with Vivint.

Kim

We only contacted Airbnb directly regarding the vivint issue once. And you are incorrect that they have nothing to do with Vivint. If you go to the host assist link on any Airbnb account the very first link is for Vivint the "preferred" provider for security and door locks for Airbnb hosts.  We were simply reaching out to try to speak with an Airbnb liaison to Vivint in order to convey the troubles we were having in the hopes that Airbnb would, A.  Be aware of the issue and B. Reach out to Vivint for a solution.

Almost a year ago AirBNB invited us as Super Hosts to be a part of the Vivint/AirBNB trial Beta test. AirBNB sends each guest a code when they book. Vivint has a team of employees called the "AirBNB team" who is supposed to deal with their AirBNB customers. That is the team I am talking about.

Was there ever a solution or did you go with a different company? We have been having issues since December of 2017. Same thing, it all fell apart when they did an update. Vivint is working on the problem but since the AirBnB connection is not a revenue stream for them, it is not a priority. (That was told to us by Vivint.) We are seriuosly looking for another company or hardware/software solution. Any suggestions?

@Lee-And-Christine0, I stand corrected.  This is not the site I found when I looked up Vivint.

Thank you for this.

Kim