Ways to Further Screen Guests

Dionne1
Level 5
Philadelphia, PA

Ways to Further Screen Guests

Hi all, 

We've been hosting for several years and for the most part enjoy our Airbnb experience. We are so proud to host visitors and be part of their visit to our city. You can tell in our reviews. However, once a year, there are a few reservations that leave us questioning the merits of hosting. We have all the requirements in place (government id, picture, etc), and pay attention to past reviews. Last week, we hosted a guest with GLOWING reviews and were shocked by how they conducted themselves in our home. I left them an honest and diplomatic review describing my experience. 

We would prefer not to go through anything like this (or worse!) again and would like to know what are other ways that hosts screen guests, in addition to the Airbnb controls.

Thank you! 

6 Replies 6
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Dionne1 I had a similar guest with rock solid gr at reviews and was shocked at how awful he was and even started to feel scared with him in my house. Since then, I have changed a few things. Potential guests have to let me know what they are doing in my town, and names of any guests. I do not allow variations in check in or out or any house rule changes, as I have found if they start asking for changes before they get here, it will only get worse when they arrive. These bookings can be cancelled fairly easily by contacting Airbnb and requesting that they cancel as guests plan to break rules. I have a copy of my rules that I send to anyone I have questions about. They must sign and date the rules and send back. Also, I have the guest who booked read and sign the rules before I turn over the keys. This helps you to fell comfortable that the guests knows the rules and is proof if needed to give to Airbnb in event of a problem. Oh, I make a copy of the signed rules to give them. Hope this might give you some ideas!

Hi @Rebecca160 Thank you for your insights. Not good for you to be scared in your own house, btw. I will definately be adding some of your suggestions to our process. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Dionne1@Rebecca160how sad that it has come to this. I simply cannot understand guests who break the rules but it happens all the time. I myself have now started sending a saved message to everyone who sends a booking request asking them to confirm that they have read the house rules before I accept. For instant books, I tell them to please make sure they have read the house rules and that I have a flexible cancellation policy if they don't feel they are a good fit for them.

I get a large number of bookings from certain neighboring countries who almost NEVER follow the house rules, especially around cooking, and ask as soon as they arrive if they can cook (I used to allow cooking but had to stop it due to the sheer excessive overuse of my kitchen to the point where I couldn't even get in to cook myself). Now when they book, I send them a specific saved message telling them that the stove and oven are not available for use but that they can use the microwave, toaster and oven. Despite this, they STILL ask me if they can cook (or don't ask and cook anyway). I really really hope I do not have to get to the stage where I have to ask guests to sign the rules before I hand over the keys. Where on earth is the respect and common courtesy???

@Kath9Thanks for your feedback. I have pretty extensive rules, however, I will be adding some of your suggestions. Use of the kitchen is definately a concern. No matter how much we stress the importance of cleaning up, it remains an issue. There's nothing as gross as finding greasy, half washed dishes with scrambled egg residue in your cabinets. OR as disturbing and coming home and finding a layer of grease on your cabinets and counters so thick, that you can write your name in it. I like your idea of limiting use. If folks push the issue, maybe a state that there is a small fee? $35? Thanks for your input!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dionne1  Communicate with your guests at the time of booking. Not just saved messages reinterating your house rules, but actually a message or two asking them a bit about their plans, asking them if they have any questions about you or your listing, etc. Not an inquisition, but a friendly communication. If you can insert a bit of humor, that's good too- I find I can tell a lot about future guests by their responses. Did they "get" the humor or are they tight-asses? Do they actually answer your questions or do they reply with something else?  Did it take them 2 weeks to reply, or did they not reply at all? Do they answer in 1 line "tweet" style, or are they more communicative? Are they casual, or more formal? These are all ways I find that I get a feel for guests before they arrive, so I'm a bit more prepared for their particular personalities. 

Luckily, I've not yet had a "bad" guest, nor have I had to decline requests, but this is also in part due to the particular type of listing I have and the type of guest it attracts.

Thanks, @Sarah977. We do get a lot of that information upfront. But our concerns largely center around cleanliness and overall respect. I recently had a guest whom I had to kick out after check out. I won't even go into how they left the kitchen and the bathroom. Their communication prior to their arrival were like their reviews--friendly and positive. After they arrived and got settled, the red flags started flying. We've been hosting for several years and have hosted hundreds of guests in our home. Every year, we update our house rules. I suspect there will not be a way to completely identify problematic guests, but the updates will help to weed out further issues.

Thanks again, Sarah. Your perspective is very much appreciated.