Weird guest...feel unsafe

Manjeet0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Weird guest...feel unsafe

She just checked in this afternoon and has been acting weird. She just asked me if i read anything on Facebook about Japanese suicide and than she laughed and said she is not crazy. Also said she knows me and my boyfried from the local YMCA when we have never been out there. 

She than asked me if i had a house phone to use to call Yangoon as she has no credit. Told her guests dont use my house phone. The supermarket downstairs sells pre paid calling cards. 

She's just come out of the room and placed her glass back in my kitchen cabinet. She was rather rough. I am totally freaking out here. She's like in some zombie state of mind. I want to ask her to leave and arrange a refund via airbnb. 

There's just something not right about this guest. Can someone please just tell me how they've dealt with a situation similar to mine ? 

TIA

~ M

18 Replies 18
Mary151
Level 3
Charleston, SC

I feel for you! Never had that happen and pray that I never do- would like to know how it turns out. Please tell us. I would personally call Airbnb directly and ask what to do.....scary. Do report this! 😬

Some people are just weird and nervous. They have strange mannerisms, say strange things, and can, sometimes, act in ways that we just don't like. Based on your limited description of her, she hasn't exhibited anything that would cause me to put her out of the house. How long is she staying?  

If you are really worried, have a real fear, call Airbnb.  

She is staying for a month !

Call airbnb now. They will contact guest and make attempt to re home them. Call police if necessary.

How do I call Airbnb ?

I have these numbers:
855-424-7262
415-800-5959

Search for "Contact Airbnb" here in the Community Center.  There is a Community Help Resource that has all the numbers and ways to reach Airbnb.  

Thank you for the numbers. I rang a 1 800 number but was in queue for 10 minutes, at which point I hung up. I've decided to let her stay the night. She did sit down to eat a sandwich and I heard her sniffing. Went around to ask if everything is ok. If there is a concern ?  She was silent for a while and said I'm sorry I am just tired. 

I left it at that. Maybe she is overwhelmed or missing home. This is my 3rd time hosting and the past 2 have been great. I'm trying to put myself in her shoes and give her some space. I hope she feels better tomorrow and enjoys her stay here.  I'm guessing there's been a relationship issue thats made her leave Yangoon and move to KL to look for a job. 

Thank you all for your quick response. I'm going to see if the situation will be better tomorrow. Else I'm happy to refund her trip and she looks for accomdation elsewhere. 

It is good to take it slow at this time.  Should you choose that she should find a different place to stay, do not do anything yourself without Air BNB contact first.  Try tweeting Air BNB requesting Customer Support contact you.  Do not cancel as this will result in blocking your calendar and a possible fine.

Manjeet0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I have now sent a message to airbnb via the contact option. Quite worried as this morning, I asked if she feels better and she nodded. 

Beginning to sense she is depressed about something. I dont want any trouble if there is a situation with her and I am not at home. 

I also now have a local contact for Airbnb which I will call, if i dont receive a reply within the next hour.  

It's my 3rd time hosting. The first 2 were great. Feeling quite rattled about this. 

@Manjeet0

Maybe doing AirBnB is not for you?

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Manjeet0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Mike77 - dont follow ? How is it not for me ? 

@Manjeet0

"Feeling quite rattled about this."

If you can't handle problems with guests, then maybe AirBnB is not for you.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Manjeet0
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Mike77 - how would you feel ? not rattled ? This forum I believe is for host to share their experiences and ask for opinions. I do feel the experience on Airbnb is a 2 way street. My concerns are genuine: a) for me and b) for the guest wellbeing.  Also this is a community based on trust. 

For someone who has jsut started hosting, this is a concern for me. By no means does it mean I need to stop or reconsider. Perhaps I didnt not make it clear - I am not asking whether or not I should continue to host. I was asking for opinions from other host who may have had a similar situation. Thank you Mike for your opinion.