What are your tips for a simple hosting routine?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your tips for a simple hosting routine?

Simple hosting routine.jpg

Hey there,

I know life can be really busy, and we often hear in the Community Center that you are having to juggle many things at the same time. This is often where having a handy hosting routine can be a great help!

We’ve had many great conversations about what you do to make hosting easier and more time efficient. I thought it would be great to bundle a few together, as there are some amazing tips:  Here are a few highlights:

Managing your time during peak season / What’s on your Pre-Check-in check list? / Message templates

• @Alexandra316  mentioned that during busy seasons she has “a really great cleaner who takes care of cleaning when [she is] not able to, and found a laundry service to take care of sheets and towels.”  
  • @Ioannis21 said “Although we are new hosts we try to automate things as much as  possible...We have created message templates for almost everything and we have saved them in the messaging system . This saves time and shows an organised host. We update them regularly... "

There are a variety of methods that can help you to host, including many time saving tools or devices. From setting up saved message templates to potentially spreading the load with a co-host or even hiring a cleaner. Different things work for different hosts.

Do any of these sound familiar to you? Have you managed to get into a good hosting routine and if so what methods have you found the most useful? 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

33 Replies 33
Michael3362
Level 3
Nashville, TN

We are new to hosting, and love to see post like this. I am using the app TurnoverBnB to help with the cleaning schedule. My cleaner is synch'd up on her app and she is able to see my booking dates and check-out times. With each booking she is able to accept my cleaning which ensures me that it will be done.  what is also nice is that you can also message through the app. Again, new to hosting, but this has saved a lot of time for us. @Stephanie 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael3362  - thanks for sharing that. It's great to hear how you have used that software to optimise the time you spend on the listing turnover. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Do you use the turnoverbnb cleaner app or the host app?

Hello everyone,

I clean and manage the property myself; it's a small house, so doesn't take much time.

I use template messages and I leave the cleaning material in the house; when I get out of the house, I go to the laundry, and while waiting for the close, I report the new guest to the foreigners services in the laptop, and send the information to the fiscality services.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Stephanie @Rita662 @Michael3362 

Always keep on top of the laundry, keep linen ironed and at the ready to zap onto the bed.

Always remember to clean windows on a regular basis, there's nothing more annoying than dirty windows, I think clean windows equates to a clear vision.

All the best

@Helen427  Do you have any good tips on cleaning windows? It never fails when I clean Then they still have streaks. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

@Michelle1164  I use plain hot water run over newsprint papers and scrunch them up. Wipe the window whichever way I'm in the mood to do, then use a dry scrunched up piece of newspaper to dry them off.

I try do mine in the morning so as not to get condensation as I find if I do it later in the day I do.

Some people use a method of wiping windows say sideways on the inside then longways on the outside as it's easier to see which side may not be squeaky clean!

All the best

@Helen427  Plain hot water, hmmm. Have to try that instead  of Windex or other window cleaner. I have tried the wipe longways and sideways for indoor vs outdoor. I’ve used paper towels and even a window squeegee. Always leaves streaks. Live on a dirt road so have come to the understanding that dirty windows just comes with the territory. But those streaks drive me crazy. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

@Michelle1164I have empathy re dirt road as windows so regularly dusty.

As hot as can be, I wear good solid gloves.

If necessary, try adding a splash of vinegar to the hot water & definitely use  newspaper and plenty of elbow grease.

Let us know if it works

Do you use newspaper instead of paper towels? I learned that tip from my stepdaughter and it really makes a difference.

Thanks @Jenny1058 for your reply

Sorry we have only just found this, yes we use Scrunched up newspaper which can if you like be mixed into the garden soil and decompose naturally afterwards.

A rather interesting thing Iearnt through  an uninvited guest in my home, slugs clean up dirty windows and shower glass walls amazingly 🙂

I have never ever intentionally encouraged them but realised that's what those clear trails are from at times in those places.

I also looked up archived newspapers and found some funny stories to!!

@Michelle1164 

@Stephanie when Peter discovers these little critters and brings them inside, explore!!

Well, I agree with the point as it is very critical to clean all dust and dirt from the widow. Dirty window do not allow the proper flow of air in the premises. 

Saofear0
Level 2
Clare, Ireland

While we haven't used it yet, I would recommend the Properly App. It's like a photo checklist for cleaners or someone who is getting the house prepared for you. 

Linnea-Or-David0
Level 5
Ochre Beach, Canada

I second the Properly app.  We used this with out last ABNB and found it great to be able to take pictures to visually show our cleaner how everything is to be set up.  It was also helpful for myself making the list instead of just remembering how I like it, I could actually see it. Helped me not forget things to tell the cleaner.  Loved my Lockstate smart lock too... it automatically sent a code to my guests that worked only for certain times.   Made the check in process nice and smooth.