What are your traditions at this time of year?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your traditions at this time of year?

foodfamily.png

Hello everybody, 

At this time of year there are many celebrations that take place, either for religious reasons or because we're ringing in a New Year. It's time to reunite with loved ones which often entails a series of various traditions that are very different depending on where we are in the world, and where we are from.

In Britain, we're looking forward to two days of merriment - Christmas day and then Boxing Day on the 26th. The origins of Boxing day is that on this day, the servants of the Victorian era homes would be given small gifts by the masters of the house in small boxes. 

But, there are many traditions that are not only related to gifts that take place this time of year!

What are the local traditions that you like to enjoy these holidays? Which are specific to your region? Have you shared any with your guests? Is there one that is especially particular?

Lots of questions this time so lots of answers to be shared! We’d love to hear about them.

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

5 Replies 5
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Stephanie :no fuss! Meats already cooked and cut.........

Spotify, seafood and salad for lunch today and basic roast meal for dinner! Chilled wine and swims in the pool, in between. Air conditioning on for the inside rests....

So have a great Xmas yourself.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie Christmas would not be complete unless pigs in blankets put in an appearance!  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Rachel0 @Stephanie @Cathie19 
I learnt from my Japanese Guest that they work on Christmas Day. She also didn't know what Boxing Day is, thought it was about boxing fights - I guess some do fight through the sales crowds which is not for me I avoid them like the plague having worked in retail.

Personally I'd like to see a return of no shops open at all on Boxing Day so people can have much needed down time away from all the material stuff we get thrown our way by marketing people and that we don't really need.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Stephanie@Rachel0 @Cathie19 
It's traditional for me to go swimming, as it's summer here in New Zealand, alas as I'm still a One Armed Bandit I'm not supposed to get my injury wet.

I've learnt that I can wear a glove on my hand , sit on the edge of the pools as the sun beats down to get much needed Vitamin D and exercise by kicking my legs in the water at my mates as they go about their swimming knowing that they are not allowed to splash me back! 😉

I guess I'll get my comeuppance when I'm finally back in the water.

Aulden1
Level 1
Lloydminster, Canada

Around here it is - 30 most times during December and January and February and March, but I digress. We have started going west towards the coast where we cross the Rocky Mountains in search of warmer weather. This year the weather West of the Rockies was beautiful +1 Celsius. It was a treat to escape the cold. During the rest of the wintewe scate on our dug out pond and some people snow mobile and other take to the  ski trails.