What happens if I turn off instant book? Got a somewhat disrespectful guest.

What happens if I turn off instant book? Got a somewhat disrespectful guest.

Hi, I live in the lower level of the separate space I rent out. Today I have a disrespectful guest. First, she never responded to my pre-stay message - this is the first person who hasn't even acknowledged my message, which included asking for an approximate arrival time. The first guest who ignored me. Then I find out there's at least one additional person (reservation has 2 guests). Also, they are either smoking or have a very strong smoke stench on their clothes. I can smell it wafting through the floor,  and under the doors. I can't believe they would actually be smoking when I live in the house. Also I think the smoke detectors would go off. But it just smells. And I have a nice family coming after they leave. They also left lights on (not uncommon) and the TV. I don't want to have people like this in my home if I can avoid it. I will see tomorrow after they leave how bad it is. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't want to live with this uncomfortableness - it's not worth it.  I thought turning off IB might help me feel more comfortable with who is coming to stay. Any thoughts? 

45 Replies 45
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jennifer1351 

it depends on your competition. If you live in an area with just a few Airbnb listings then your place will show in searches as usual. If you live in the high competitive area then if you turn off instant booking option, you will end up on the page xx... and will not get any bookings.

Regarding your guest's behavior make sure you leave them the appropriate review.

Regarding smoke smell - stripe off all the beds and open all windows for a few hours while you clean. You can even place a few ventilators if you have any. At the end just use some air freshener and everything will be fine, don't panic 🙂

Thanks for all the info @Branka-and-Silvia0. I get nervous about leaving negative things in a review since strangers know where you live, your name. What about no review?  They left this morning and they weren't smoking, but had a lot of smoke on themselves after being out. I could smell it coming under the doors. Some extra cleaning still , but at least it wasn't smoking in the house. I think she ignored me because she brought an extra person/people. Thanks for reminder not to panic 🙂

@Jennifer1351 Leaving bad reviews is uncomfortable, but needed. It is a way we can look after each other. I'm allergic to smoke, so being honest about it would save me if these people tried to book my room since I live in the house. My thoughts. 

@Jennifer1351 

ALWAYS review bad guests! That's the only way we as hosts can "stop the cycle" or at least slow it down. With no review these guests are free to behave badly for another host.

You don't have to mention specifics. It can be as simple as, "I would not welcome these guests back to my home and don't recommend to other hosts."

A better option to inform hosts would be, "Guest ignored my pre-stay message. Guest reserved for two but three people showed up. Extra cleaning was necessary after the guest left."

The guest can't dispute the review because it is factual, not subjective.

Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

@Jennifer1351 ,

unfortunately there are always some disrespectful guests. From my experience they are overall a very small percentage but still it happens here and there - and these guest are not necessarily booking your lodging due to you have instant booking turned on (with instant booking they need to have only good references, otherwise they wouldn't be able to book staight away).

I have three apartments in the ground floor of my farm house where I live in the first floor. For 2 apartments I hav IB turned on, for the third apt I have it turned off, and I live in a very touristic place with a lot of competition. Also I changed a couple of times between IB turned off and on. At the end I don't see a big difference beween teh guest which came with IB or where I had a lot of conversation before the booking. On the other side I believe that there are a little bit more bookings for the apartments with IB turned on than for the other apt without IB, but it might be also due to the fact that my third apt is a bit more expensive because it has a private terrace and 2 bath rooms, who knows...!

I personnally don't think, that you get "better" guests when you turn off IB, but you may feel safer for your own, because you have the possibility to get a fist impression of the guest through the answers to your qeustions. Please note this is no guarentee.

Regarding the smell of smoke I would mention it towards the current guest, may be in a friendly manner "by the way, I always do smell a bit of smoke when I am passing your floor, just wanted to make sure that you are not smoking inside the apartment".

After they left I would proceed according @Branka-and-Silvia0 's tips. If it doesn't help and it still smells smoky, then I would wash the curtains (if any) and clean all sofas, carpets and similar with a wiping cloth which is moist with a bit of vinaigre (not really wet, just a bit of water and a small bit of vinaigre). You will see, this will help.

Thanks for all the info @Ralf5 . Yes, my experience has also been that most guests have been pretty respectful. That would be a good way to approach a smoking situation. They did leave this morning and they weren't smoking, they just must have been out and their clothes absorbed a lot of smoke that seeped under the doors. But still a little extra cleaning and freshening. Good idea to use a bit of vinegar and water.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Typical of the guests who think they're booking a hotel. We all get a few.  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jennifer1351I do not do IB - for ME! I like working to do alittle to vet the guests and I always ASK Are they smokers - cause I'm a no smoking property.  I don't book them without a response and clear NO to that question.....and I've had 2 smokers that I declined.......It is always a drag if a guest doesn't respond. I send another message asking if they got my message....usually that does the charm. I did have some older folks and I think they just didn't have the app on their phone at all and used their laptop at home....so I had to message their phone - and got immediate response - I think they just didn't know or understand. It turned out fine - But in over 90 guests - never had one NOT respond - I would not give them the keypad code if they didn't! 

Like @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ralf5 @Jennifer1351  said it all depends of your local other hosts and what they offer and comparing to you. And I think it changes very often. 

I'd say do your best get great reviews, update your listing very often and it will help your SEO and where you show up in the search.  happy hosting, Clara

Good point @Clara52 I should have sent another message to see if they got it. I kept thinking she'd respond to my message that day and let me know when she's arriving. I think she may have ignored me because she was going to bring an additional person or people. Thanks for all the info!

Another thing to consider if guests do not answer a message, especially older guests and newbies, is they may be answering the text message alert, thinking it is coming through. I will often send a message after 2 are not answered, especially if I got good communication at booking, that says, I am guessing that you may be replying to my messages from the texting option on your phone. Those answers simply get lost. I will need you to answer through the ABB app. Works like a charm. 

Hmmm  @Ava0 I wonder if that's what it was. I have no idea what that texting option is. Can you clarify that. (couldn't seem to get your name to link) Where do they use it? I did get one response from her but it came days after I sent a message, which seemed odd. 

@Jennifer1351  What it is, is that many people who don't know get a notification alert on their phone by text message (I get these for my account when I have a new Inquiry or Booking Request) and they try to just reply to that by texting back, but it isn't a text you can reply to- it's only an alert that you have a new message in your Inbox and you have to go to the Inbox to reply to it.

Also sometimes guests, especially newer ones, haven't checked any of the boxes on their profile to recieve notification alerts by text or email- therefore they don't even know they have a message waiting for reply.

What I have done, if not getting a response from a guest, and as long as I can text them on my phone plan, is to send a text to their phone, telling them I've sent them an Airbnb message and to please check their Inbox and reply.

@Ava11 Thanks for a logical answer.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Jennifer1351: We are not a fan of Instant Book as we want to have control over all confirmed bookings. Has it hurt us with bookings overall? I do not believe so. We still get on average of 25 views a day and roughly a booking a week.

Some older smoke detectors will not pick up cigarette smoke unless there is a ton of smoke in the room. You can get a newer smoke detector or go with something like the Puff Alert Smoke Detector that will trigger with cigarette smoke. There are even stealth cigarette smoke detectors that look like AC vents and deodorizer mounts. 

If you do ever have a smoker in there that really leaves a smell run your AC hard for a little (an hour). Then change the AC filter and run it hard again to try and pull the remaining odors from the air. A good AC filter ( I like the Honeywell Elite Allergen Pleated FPR 10) will really help with this aspect. Unfortuantely those filters run about $18-$20 each but its good to have one or two on hand in case of the situation.