When does the cancellation policy apply?

Michela277
Level 2
Syracuse, Italy

When does the cancellation policy apply?

Hello everyone!

I have a costumer that reserved my house for 14days at August of next here.

Now I've never thought thoroughly about the cancellation policy but now I have a problem: my cancellation policy was set to flexible and if they cancel at the last day I'll have the most booked month half empty with not much possibilities to have others booking.

So the question is: if I change to moderate will this change affect a reservation before it?

Thank you for your help!

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Michela277 The cancellation policy that was set at the time of booking is the cancellation policy that remains on the reservation: you can't update it after the fact. You have entered into a contract to provide a service at a certain price with certain terms, and they can't be changed.

If you're really not comfortable, you could contact Airbnb and plead ignorance as a new host and ask them to cancel the reservation penalty-free. They may or may not go for it.

Thank you for your response!

I saw that since I've enable the "instant booking" feature I can cancel trice a year penalty-free, so I thought to explain the situation to the costumer, cancel the reservation and (if they are still interested) make them re reserve for the same days so that the new policy is applied.

But now I have another question will they be able to reserve again after I cancelled it?

@Michela277 Yes they will be able to re-book, as long as you use a penalty free cancellation. Again, I would call Airbnb and have them do it. If you cancel incorrectly, your dates will be blocked and no one will be able to book them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michela277  It's quite unprofessional to tell a guest you are cancelling on them because you didn't have your settings the way you wanted them and then ask them to rebook with the new settings, whether it's a pricing issue or a cancellation policy issue or whatever. 

And don't try to cancel this yourself- contact Airbnb to explain the situation, that you are a new host and were confused, and hopefully they will let you cancel without penalties. Or else just leave this reservation as is and chalk it up to a learning experience. We've all had to eat it once in awhile.