Which direction to sleep....

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Which direction to sleep....

I learned something new... but details not exactly clear to me.

A regular bed normally has a headboard and a foot end, so it is clear in which direction it must be made ready to sleep

But after a certain guest has left, i noticed sleeping direction (pillow now at foot end) was changed
When another guest did the same thing, i asked about it.

What both guest had in common was their religion (Hindoeism). And it seems it is not OK when sleeping in a certain direction ?

But due to language problems i did not exactly understand.

Maybe somebody can shine a light on this ?

10 Replies 10

@Emiel1  You might find this article interesting:  https://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/best-sleeping-direction-east-west

Emiel1
Level 10

@Anonymous 

Thank you, very interesting to read.

But the guests changed sleeping direction "south-north" (head at south) to "north-south"....

What i only understood from the conversation was the guest was it has something to do with "not showing your feet to God"   ??

Emiel1
Level 10

And a link on that page goes to

https://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/avoid-sleeping-position-south

which in first section says:

1. Sleeping position : Reasons for not sleeping with the feet towards the south or in the north-south direction

So why did my guests change direction to a NOT recommended sleeping direction ?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Interesting @Anonymous  

@Emiel1  which direction was the new sleeping position east/west or north/south

Emiel1
Level 10

@Jeff158 

north/south  (as the original positon is: south/north)

(i was happy they did not change the whole bedstead, just only the bedlinen ! )

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 maybe it was a Feng Shui thing?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1  It's interesting- not to do with some religious belief, but try changing the direction you sleep- I have found that I actually slep better when oriented towards a particular direction. 

Maybe your guests weren't sure which way was east?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Emiel1 

lay on that bed on both directions and see what direction feels better.

There are certain rules in furniture arrangement - the bed shouldn't directly face the door, the door shouldn't be behind man's back while working at the table, etc...  Even if you don't know those rules you will feel good or bad in that room.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah977 

Actually, i don't know. if they were aware of the East They just changed sleeping direction and (what i could extract from a conversation ) said  "not showing your feet to God" was the issue.

So i asked community for some enlightment. I found the article @Anonymous  points to interesting to read, but it does not give the answer to the question why my guests changed sleeping direction to north-south.

BTW Interesting to read you experience a better sleep when oriented in certain direction !

Maybe some scientific research should be done:

Are complaining guests/ guests leavng bad reviews  sleeping in wrong direction ;>)

Kind regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1 That's it! You solved the mystery! Complaining guests must all be sleeping in the wrong direction 🙂

A strange thing about my guest room- it's quite an odd shape (I designed it that way) and the single bed in there only fits in the room one way in order to leave room to walk around. It's sort of tucked in with only space for the night stand next to the bed. Almost everyone who's slept in there, guests, family, and friends, have commented that they don't know what it is about that bed (it's not some super expensive mattress), but they haven't slept that well since they were a baby. It's oriented more or less east/west, but I think it's the fact that it's tucked in there, sort of womb-like. I've slept in there many times myself and I find the same- I actually sleep better in there than I do in my own bed.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  And, contrary to those feng shui rules-, the bed directly faces the door- so when you're laying in the bed with the door open, you look on on the trees, the birds and the jungled hillsides. Rules, shmools. Like you said, it either feels good or it doesn't.