Why is Airbnb pricing off from what I set?

Why is Airbnb pricing off from what I set?

Hi, I just raised my price by a couple dollars. I'm keeping it what I feel is a little low as I'm still fairly new to this. I just got a new reservation and the price guest is paying is one dollar less than my minimum price. I know that amounts to nothing, but I'm wondering why it is of off? I also looked at my listing on another browser where I'm not logged in and Airbnb has my minimum price $10 over what I have set for my minimum price. What is going on?

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jennifer1351 

if you use Smart pricing, the actual prices generated are displayed in the calender. It will normally not go below lowest limit set (or above upper limit set), at least that is my experience. Did you set special discounts ?

Looking at your listing i simulated a few bookings, i saw  USD 80,- as lowest price per night.

best regards,

Emiel

Thanks @Emiel1 , yes I have $80 as the minimum price. Just got a reservation and guest is paying $79. I don't care about that, but just wonder why. Thanks for checking! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jennifer1351  Don't freak out- I can see your listing, not sure why Sandra can't. Maybe some more hosts can check.

I assume you've looked at all your booking and price settings to make sure smart pricing or price tips didn't get turned on by accident? Don't know why you'd show as $10 higher on another browser.

I do find my payouts can sometimes differ by a dollar. I've always assumed it had something to do with currency conversions.

@Sarah977 I don't know why it didn't show when I first looked. But now it does 🙂

@Sarah977  I do have smart pricing on, but not price tips. I thought you could still set and change prices with smart pricing? Maybe that's it? I thought with smart pricing would keep your mimimum price and then you can adjust prices too - like weekends etc? Because it's a pain to set the price for every day.

@Jennifer1351  Someone else will have to answer that- I don't have any experience with Smart pricing. My place is the same price every day of the year, no discounts for length of stays (I have a 2 week max) When I read about all the glitches and confusions with pricing, I'm glad I do this, but I realize it's not practical or cost-effective for a lot of hosts.

Leo192
Level 8
Spartanburg, SC

@Jennifer1351 , no worry I just checked it and everything seems fine on my end.  See screenhot I took.  A few years someone told me when it comes to booking hotels online for those people using a PC will tend will see a slight lower rates compared to those using a Mac.  Crazy huh?   Then I went on Expedia and did a comparison using both PC/Mac laptops and they were right.  Mac users pay a little more! 😞  Hmm. I wonder if that's happening with ABB platform.

BTW - GoBlue!  I lived in A2 for many years.  Great college town.  Happy Hosting!jen.png

Thanks @Leo192 ,  that's cool and Go Blue 🙂 

I'm glad you took that screen shot because that shows what I am posting about. I have $80 set a minimum price, but it's showing $90 when I looked too.

Anyone have any insight why it would show $10 over?

@Jennifer1351 You have Smart Pricing turned on, you said?  That's why certain nights are higher than your minimum.  Smart Pricing raises them based on some mysterious algorithm.  It shouldn't make them lower than your minimum, though, as @Emiel1 said.  

I've read a lot about Smart Pricing on these forums, and I get the impression that when you set it, then start changing certain prices for certain dates, it can get glitchy and go below the minimum.  I don't know that for a fact, though.

And in my experience if you use Smart Pricing, you shouldn't also use Price Tips.  They just seem like oil and water.

That one dollar lower would drive me crazy and I would send a note via Twitter to @airbnbhelp and ask them to explain their math!

Also @Leo192 . Wow, your listings are amazing. From the house to the photos to the listing itself! 

Janet605
Level 2
Chillicothe, IL

I am not using Smart pricing but when I set my price at $125.00 a night, it shows up on my sight as $63.00 a night!    Here's my listing  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/37555085?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1565624713_d22dT0x...

Can anyone help?  I have tried changing it several times.