Why would you want to start hosting?

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Why would you want to start hosting?

Hey everybody, 

I am a student working on a research project for school. It is a business project that looks at this amazing platform (Airbnb). I have managed to get tons of great information reading through the various threads. But there is one thing that still eludes me. And I am hoping that reaching out to all of you will help me in getting the answers I need for my assignment. 

I am saying thank you ahead of time!!!

So here we go. I would really love if some of you would not mind telling me the following:

1. What was it that motivated you to start hosting your spare home or space?

2. What are the greatest struggles and joys you experience as hosts?

3. What would you change if you could?

I really appreciate all the help I can get, and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! 

Craig

23 Replies 23
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Easy

Money

Having to put up with random guests demands

Make more money so I could quit Airbnb 🙂

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Pete

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

1. I host because it pays my mortgage on my second home. 

2. Hoping all guests will follow rules and not damage anything.

3. Wish there was a real deposit as peace of mind for hosts. 

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks John!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

1. Money
2. Entitled guests
3. A 'No snowflakes' filter

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Gordon!

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

These replies are so great. Has anyone ever considered using the income to pay for College funds, or to allow you to be able to afford traveling yourself?

Paradoxically once you start doing Airbnb it becomes very difficult to travel - your calendar fills up with bookings you can't cancel months ahead of time. Each week you block off in summer can be $1k in revenue 😞

Im currently verging toward retirement so it helps the transition.

I honestly don't think many people do Airbnb for any period of time for the joy of it - scrubbing toilets, cleaning up body hair, vomit and dirty towels is not a great living for most well educated people. Airbnb has a very high host churn rate.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pete0

Good, honest response.

Yes, it's really hard to travel now. I am invited on many (free) trips each year because I am a journalist, but I have to turn down most of them now because the invites always come after the guests have booked those dates.

I am sure my mother thinks it is very degrading that I am cleaning up after other people and making their beds. I don't tell her the full story though (the used condoms, the 'personal' stains on sheets, the things I have seen in and on the toilet!).

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

1. Money and much more flexibility than a long term tenant.

2. Guests who don't pay attention to rules or read the listing.  I don't know about 'joy' but I have met many lovely people from across the world.

3. A real security deposit and a better review system.

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Mark

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

1. It's more lucrative and allows more flexible use of the space (I can block the calendar for my own use) than having a roommate

2. It's a joy to see people have a great time on their vacation and seeing a few repeat guests year after year. It's a struggle to ensure people have the information they need when they don't read!

3. I'd ask Airbnb to do less as a middleman. Allow us to control our own deposits and cancellation policies. The claims process and abuse of extenuating circumstances often makes me think of booking through other channels.

Craig302
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Allison

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

1. Extra money to reach finanical goals. As well, I thought it would be an interesting way to make extra money, and it has been.

2. My greatest struggle is with guests who are entitled or just don't care. My greatest joy is making people's stays great and memorable. I particularly love being able to make their vacations special in some way.

3. I'd definitely like Airbnb to be a little more hands off in some ways, i.e. extenuating circumstances and the security deposit.