cancellations

cancellations

Hi, I have 3  questions:

1. If i cancel a reservation and put in that the reason is I was uncomfortable with the guest because"The guest has bad reviews or not enough profile information" does it affect the guest in anyway?

2. I rather not elaborate on the real reason which is that i wasn't so comfortable with our correspondence, or should I?

3. What does the guest see when I cancel? can he see the reason?

Thank you for your time.

9 Replies 9
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Spring1

Rather than cancelling from your end, you should contact airbnb and have them cancel for you on the grounds that you are not comfortable with the guest.  

first, thank you for your response.

second, my question was how will my guest be affected by such a thing?I wouldn't want to cause him any trouble.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Spring1

Obviously, your guest would have to find somewhere else to stay.  With a not so good review from an airbnb host, probably better off at a hotel.  

If this is a request that you have not yet accepted, simply decline and the guest will have to keep looking.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Spring1

Do not accept the booking in the first place.

David

I had the instant book turned on at the time. I realized what it meant only after he booked, when I saw that his reservation was had been confirmed. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Spring1

If he Instant Booked, you must contact airbnb and have them cancel on the grounds that you are not comfortable with the guest. They are ok with this and let you cancel penalty free.

yes, I understand. However, I wouldn't want to affect his ranking. He didn't do anything too bad, I just didn't feel good vibes in our conversation.

anyway, if it may hurt him, i rather cancel and endore the penalty. 

thank you all for being so helpful.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Spring1

Do a forum search or search the help section for "host cancellation" - at the start of your career, this will be close to commercial suicide.  Having airbnb cancel the reservation will not affect the guest in any way, but it will push you waaay down the search results and there will be an automatic negative review on your listing that will stay with you forever.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Y'all, IB hosts may cancel guests if they are "uncomfortable" or breaking house rules. A host may do this themselves thru the Cancel menu. No need to call. Re-read the help center articles regarding host cancellatio

there is a section to the guest where you type a message otherwise there is nothing else about it that goes out to the guest. Other than having to find another place to stay nothing "bad" happens to the guest